cap numbers

Here are the rough cap numbers that I have estimated from news
reports and Onhoops.com

CENTER
Potapenko	'05	$4.5-$7.0	(estimated based on 6yr, $33M)
Battie   	'00	$2.5-$3.0	(rookie contract)
Riley    	'99	?????????	(veteran minimum)
Schintzius	'99	?????????	(veteran minimum)
Ellison	  	'00	$2.0-$2.5

POWER FORWARD
Walker   	'05	$9.0-$13.5
Jones    	'01	$2.0-$3.0

SMALL FORWARD
Pierce   	'02	$1.5-$2.5	(rookie contract, first refusal in 02)
McCarty  	'02	$2.0-$3.0

SHOOTING GUARD
Mercer   	'00	$2.0-$3.0	(rookie contract)
Bowen    	'99	$0.45
Minor   	'01	$2.5-$3.2

POINT GUARD
Anderson	'04	$6.0-$9.0
Barros   	'01	$3.5-$4.0
Garnett  	'99	?????????	(rookie minimum)

MISCELLANEOUS
Radja   	'00	$2.0-$2.5

NOTES
1. Pitino won't be a player in the free agent market in '99 unless he
manages to free up some room via trades. The Chicago Bulls are looking
screwed because most of their free agent wish list has re-signed to
long-term contracts. Players generally don't seem to be that thrilled
to play for the Bulls now that they suck. They do, however, have a load
of cap room. The possibility that I am thinking about is for Boston
to trade Walker and various cap baggage to Chicago for their #1 pick
(assuming Chicago does well in the lottery). Boston signs Vin Baker
with the cap room.   Honestly I don't know enough about college players
to know whether this would be worth it. And Vin Baker's not looking
so good this year either.

2. It's possible that the Celtics could be a player in the free agent
market in '01, with Potapenko, Walker, Pierce, McCarty, and Anderson
being the only players currently signed that year. Those would account
for $30M of salary which probably leaves at least $10M under the cap.
Of course, Mercer will get a long-term extension this offseason which
kills this idea. Anyways, it's a possibility if Pitino wants to mostly
blow up the current team somehow, similar to what Pheonix did.
I doubt it though, and 2001 is a funny year where no rookie contracts
will expire (unless teams elect not to exercise their options).

3. Pitino currently looks like he's structuring salaries to pay
from $6M-$9M+ to each starter and $2-3M to each backup player. To me
this look like it's heading to a $50M-$60M payroll once Pierce
signs his extension. I wonder what the salary cap will look like
at that point.