Hell of a trade -- here's why

Look.  Assuming we can sign Vitaly for something reasonable, Pitino
has gone out and gotten a legitimate center without giving up any of
our "assets." we part with Andrew, who we all love but makes no impact
on any game, and a pick in a very weak draft.   Who thought he was
going to be able to do that?  Earlier this season, he at least flirted
with the idea of trading Pierce for this guy..   Why?  Because he
rebounds like Dana Barros, can't block shots, and is slow?  No.

This is the physical punisher the team has needed all along.  He also
brings a solid post game with a variety of Dino Radja-style drop
steps, spins, and running hooks.  And he beats guys up.   He is a
throwback, pure and simple.  Now, somebody complained, why can't we
get a stud, who will "fill it up."  You know the answer very well.
You're not going to get one of the four or five stud centers in the
league.  But you are getting a guy that can help to neutralize them.
The only problem with VP is that he is very foul prone because he is
(and here's the sweet part) super aggressive.  He loves to kick the
shit out of people.  If nothing else, he will make guards think twice
before driving our lane.  And  he can run a little for a big man as
well.

I tend to doubt we would be in a position to get a Steve Francis or
Lamar Odom this year -- we will start winning sooner or later.  What's
awful is that we have the talent we need, and still can't score.  This
is such a mystery to me.  I know the guys are bad defensively, but how
amazing that Kenny Anderson and the other guys can't run some decent
offense.  I guess potapenko will help there, especially if Pitino
teaches him to pass.  Hopefully, there will be a lot of teaching going
on.  VP just turned 24, and big men as we all know take a while to
develop.  But the main thing this guy does for us is to turn the paint
into a torture chamber for our opponents.  He'll still get scored on
by the really good centers if they concentrate, but many nights you
will see Mourning, Ewing, etc.  taking jumpshots over him rather than
bang against him.  The guy is a huge vicious goon!  And Pitino has
been watching film of him for a month.
I like this trade more and more.  I wonder when the hex will be broken
and our offense will open up, though.  I would feel so much better if
this guy were a rebounder.