C's may land Cav: Near swap for Potapenko

Celtics Notebook/by Steve Bulpett
Thursday, March 11, 1999
ATLANTA - The Celtics' wish for size may be answered by the bell. With today's
6 p.m. NBA trade deadline looming, the club was closing in on a deal that would
net them 6-foot-10, 280-pound center Vitaly Potapenko from Cleveland for Andrew
DeClercq and a No. 1 draft pick.
The Celts have looked at Potapenko in the past, but his price has been too high
- the Cavaliers were offering him for Paul Pierce before the season. The reason
the Ukraine Train is now available is that he will be a free agent following
the season and the Cavs are reportedly not prepared to meet his asking price.
With large contracts having been given to Shawn Kemp and Zydrunas Ilgauskas,
the Cleveland management is drawing a line.
DeClercq, pressed into service at center for the Celts but far better suited to
the power forward position, has two more years beyond this left on his contract
with his option for the 2001-2002 season. He is making a prorated $1.44 million
this season, with approximately $5.7 million left over the remaining three.
Sources last night said the deal appeared to be done, but one side was hedging
its comments because there is still time until the deadline.
``Nothing's going on,'' said Cavs president Wayne Embry.
The Cavs, currently in the fight with the Celtics and Atlanta for the final
Eastern Conference playoff spot, will be without regular center Ilgauskas for
the season due to injury.
The Celtics, meanwhile, will be taking a chance on their ability to sign
Potapenko, who was drafted 12th overall by Cleveland in the 1996 NBA draft.
Pierce still gimpy
It appears the Celtics will be facing some of the East's iron without all their
irons in the fire. Pierce's right ankle was improved yesterday after he
sprained it Tuesday night, and while word is it may be recovered enough to give
it a shot tonight against the Hawks, the rookie was being far more cautious.
``I feel better today than I did yesterday,'' Pierce said after watching
practice with his foot in ice and getting up to take a few shots before heading
out to an interview and more rehab. ``After the game I could barely walk on it,
so I'm taking good steps and getting better.
``It's not as bad as I thought it was. I can turn it. There's a little pain,
but I can tell it's getting better.''
Pierce was talking about ``missing a few games,'' but he would like to, at the
worst, attempt to play against the Pacers Sunday afternoon in Indianapolis, if
not against the Pistons tomorrow.
``Well, that's what I'm looking forward to hopefully,'' he said. ``If I can
continue to make strides with it, it'll get better and then most likely I'll be
able to give it a try on Sunday.''
Pierce suffered the injury in the first quarter of the 105-87 loss in
Charlotte, stepping on Kenny Anderson's foot after coming down with a rebound.
He was X-rayed there (negative) and came back for a 47-second stint in the
second period, then took the night off.
Walker, Mercer sit
Antoine Walker and Ron Mercer also did not take part in the practice.
``(Antoine) said his shins hurt, so whether he'll play (tonight), I'm not
sure,'' said Rick Pitino. ``Ron (leg cramps Tuesday) will play.''
SECTIONS
FRONT PAGE
TODAY'S PAPER
LOCAL NEWS