Re[2]: Lakers Acquire Rice For Johnson and Campbell

Sure, but how do you come up with a quality center without
trading away one of the young players?  Pretty difficult.
Free agency?  As Pitino said in the Herald, there aren't
any quality centers available via free agency.  The draft:
It's a pretty weak center crop.  The best might be Ketner,
if you can somehow motivate him.  Mihm from Texas is rapidly
improving, and NBA teams are high on Frederick Weis, the
7-2 Frenchman, but it's probably more of a factor of a weak
center crop, than skill level.

Here's my prediction: Pitino will sign Charles Oakley as a
free agent.  He'll be the starting power forward next season.
Then.... Then Walker, Pierce or Mercer will be dealt in a package
for a center.
MG

Mark Berry <mberry@journalink.com> wrote:

> The difference between the Lakers and Celtics is Shaq and five
years. Put a
> quality center on this team and let it grow up, and you have
something. For all
> the Shaq-bashing that goes on around this list, the fact is he's the
single-most
> dominant force in the game today. Any team with him in the middle
would go deep
> into the playoffs.
>
> Mark

> Subject: RE: Lakers Acquire Rice For Johnson and Campbell
>

> From:    Mister Ghost <mister_ghost@yahoo.com> at Internet
>

> Date:    3/10/99  2:41 PM
>

> Yes, I'm an evil Laker plant who likes to torture myself
> by watching all the Celtics games including the exhibition
> contests.  Huh, I can't even tell you which color the
> Laker uniforms are.  I think they're blue, right?
>
> But it's going to take a mighty discordant effort on the
> part of Shaq, Kobe, and Rodman to topedo thier cruise to
> the title.  Maybe Portland is for real, and they'll get
> the job done.  But the Laker reality is so far away from the
> present day Celtics, that it's kind of depressing.
> MG
>

> "Odegaard, Greg M." <GMOdegaa@RMC.com> wrote:
> >
> > Now Mr. Ghost Sir, I appreciate your consideration of this trade and
> the
> > possible impact on this team, yada yada, but please do not discount
> the
> > overriding reality of any Faker team with the new 3-headed monster
of
> > Clank-Fu/Denny/Kobe.  They are by far the most talented team in the
> league,
> > but do we need to go into a long discussion of talent not always
> winning the
> > title?  Factors like teamwork (hello Antoine) come into play, and
> the Jazz,
> > Blazers, and Rockets are head and shoulders above this "team" in
this
> > critical area.  As I said before, hell yes I will give them credit
for
> > winning a title in the Post-MJ era, as I would the Blazers when they
> win it
> > this July, but do not put any proverbial cart before the trophy
horse.
> > Otherwise I would assume you are just a Fakerfan hiding out on our
> list, and
> > doing a great service to forward great articles, like you did as
> Witchcraft
> > and WayRay.
> >
> > Of course my certifiable bias and distaste for the Fakers will allow
> me to
> > think any other way, but if I can become the biggest Blazer fan on
> this
> > list, anything is possible in the new Millennium.
> >
> > Maybe Charlotte is going to throw in Campbell with Wesley for the
deal
> > before mentioned.  I hip to that,
> > Greg

==