Misery

Watching last night's game was like watching the Celtics of 2 years
ago.  Very little movement without the ball and movement of the ball,
lack of agressiveness (except Declerq), and eventually Antoine getting
frustrated and trying to do it all himself, furthering the lack of team
play.  The only enjoyable moments were when Ron Mercer made his drives
to the basket for layups.

Paul Pierce has been non-existant for the last 4 games, and maybe not
so coincidentally, the Celtics have looked awful the last 4 games.

My prediction of 31 wins was based on the assumption that they'd keep
playing with energy on defense and creating turnovers, and keep moving
well without the ball on offense and creating opportunities, and using
their passing skills and athleticism to exploit those opportunities
consistently, as they did in the 2 exhibition games.  Obviously, my
assumption was wrong.  I looks now like they'll do well to win even 27
or 28 games, and that will only happen if they get back to playing like
they did against Orlando and New York 2 weeks ago, and away from they
way they played 2 years ago.

Last night the C's did not create opportunities by moving the ball
quickly upfloor, running quickly upfloor, spacing themselves on
offense, drawing double-teams, passing to the open man, getting the
defense in disarray, and getting layups.  Instead, Charlotte did all
of the above, and got lots of layups and fouls, despite inferior talent.

The Celtics just passed once then took a quick shot, just like in the previous
few games.  SO FRUSTRATING TO WATCH!  Cousy correctly bemoaned that all
the good looking moves were just one-on-one stuff; that there was no team
play on offense.

They also aptly pointed out that the defense was also 2 steps behind.
The Celtics applied unnecessary double-teams in unstrategic places, executed
poorly so that the double-teamed player could easily pass, leading to an
easy pass or two, while the Celtics scrambled to rotate, and an open shot or
mismatch or dunk or layup and foul.

The Celtics got burned several times when they didn't get anyone back
beyond the leading Charlotte player after a Celtics shot.  Charlotte
released often and got easy baskets.  One time, in the 4th quarter, the
Celtics were applying full court pressure, but didn't make sure to get
one guy downcourt first.  Basic stuff.  All 5 Celtics were pressuring
in the backcourt, and one Hornet was standing all alone under the
basket.  The inbounds pass went the length of the court for an easy
layup without even a dribble, and with no Celtic even close enough to
foul, or contest for a rebound if he missed.

I'm glad I was watching on videotape so I could fast-forward and get
the misery over more quickly.

Charlotte had no dominating big men, so the C's should have romped, and
could have easily done so.  Let's hope Pitino can do something to turn
the psyche of this team around during the road trip, or it will be an
embarassing Sunday in Indiana on national TV, and another season with no
playoffs.  Hopefully the backlog of home games later on will help, as the
C's always seem to play well at home, but they need to stay at .500 on the
road or the backlog of home games will be too little, too late.

Praying for a turnaround.

Jon Mc