Re: Increase market value of whom?

-----Original Message-----
From: damekmo@teleport.com <damekmo@teleport.com>
To: celtics@igtc.com <celtics@igtc.com>
Date: Monday, March 08, 1999 8:05 AM
Subject: Increase market value of whom?

>So...if the above is true concerning Walker to small forward....why not
>trade a package of Pierce and Barros or Declercq and maybe a draft pick for
>a big man, move Walker to small forward and keep Mercer at shooting guard?

I don't think that is a good idea, the problem is not with Pierce. Everytime
Walker, Mercer and Pierce are on the court at same time, somebody's point
production drops. These three need some more time to develop the right
chemistry.

>Is everybody sure Pierce is the second coming? Maybe there's a reason the
>guy slipped to 10? Stay calm...just a thought. I assume nobody is calling
>about Kenny Anderson. Also...concerning:

I belive Kenny can be traded to the Warriors and Carlesimo woutake him, but
then Bimbo Coles and/or Tony Delk is all we can get for him in return. I
think initial concerns of Kenny not being able to play Pitino ball are
coming true.

>>    ``And the way I'm looking at it now, if you're going to do something,
>>why do it now? Why not do it after July 1 when you've had more time to
>>develop your assets and more time to see how things pan out?<P>
>
>What asset needs developing? He has three assets...maybe four but three for
>sure: Walker, Mercer and Pierce. Somebody help me on the "base year" thing
>but I assume it just means that Walker's big $$$ kicks in next year and you
>wont get a big $$$$ quality player for him until then...yes?

I agree with you that's Pitino's standard pitch. I think if I am Pitino, I
would try hard to trade Popeye (who may have some takers) and McCarty (who
doesn't fit the team and will be very hard to trade).  Regarding the base
year compensation, I belive May is wrong: Walker is not a base year
compensation player, he is in the last year of his original contract. He
will be base year compensation player the next season and the following
season, in which case for trade purposes his salary = maximum
(this_seasons_salary, 1/3*(current_salary)) and the following year
maximum(this_season_salary, 2/3*(current_salary)).

> Should we all expect a big man to come out of the
>draft? I'm heading off to work and some coffee.

I don't think there is a big man in this years draft so if Pitino needs a
big man he should either trade the 1st round pick and get Lorenzen Wright
from the Clips or stay with last years philosophy and take the best player
available even if it means duplicating a position. I also think Pitino would
do well to examine his offensive and defensive strategy and conclude that it
is not working against bigger and more physical teams and make
adjustments. - Mishra