Mercer & Three point shots

A player like Mercer can score 20 a night because he forces the defender
to play defense.  The defender has to run through constant screens to
stop the short range jumper and plus Mercer can take his man off the
dribble.

This might sound strange, but I was one, that wanted Mchale to shoot the
ball as oppose to Bird in the closing seconds, if we were down less than
three.  McHale and the team knew their roles.  The three point shot can
be over rated.

It is the responsibility of the coach to develop the concept of the team
based upon the talent that he/she has.   Coaches love players like
Mercer, a person who works hard within the team concept.  Adrian Dantley
and Dr. J. did not shoot the three very well but they made great
contributions to their team.

Greg
gh18@juno.com

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]