Re: It's a lie...a damn lie!

>From: Josh Ozersky <josh_ozersky@yahoo.com>
>Subject: Re: It's a lie...a damn lie!
>
>I think the deal could well be true, for the following reasons:

Sure, it might be true.  But then, LA might be asking for Pierce, which
would kill the deal.  The first sources to report these deals seldom get
the players correct.

>4.  Much as I love Ron, I like this trade a lot.  ...  We would really
>punish people with our starting unit.  And Pierce would as I say be
>murder at two guard, esp. slashing to the boards.

I'm not sold on Pierce as a starting guard.  I don't think he's got the
speed to stay with the top level 2s every night.  Keeping him at the 3
keeps him in the thick of things defensively, where he can jump into
passing lanes and crash the boards.  At 2 he'd be running around picks
and sticking a hand in someone's face all night long.  2 guard is not a
position for as good a defender as Pierce is.  Offensively he'd be fine,
but if he can score from the 3 spot (and he can), it would be a waste to
use him at the 2.

Even having Walker play the 3 raises some questions.  Do you want to see
him trying to guard Grant Hill?  Or hanging on the perimeter, while
Wright and Taylor operate inside?

Having said all that, I still kind of like the trade, although I haven't
seen a lot of the two LA guys.  I don't see a way for this team to get
bigger, without giving up Mercer, Walker or Pierce.  And, of those
three, I'd choose Mercer.  I think I'd rather wait till the end of the
year and get a good center for him, leave Pierce and Walker where they
are, and draft a guard or two.

Jim