The deals -Reply

I'm inclined to disagree with Warwick.  I, for one, do not want to see
Maurice Taylor in green--particularly if it costs us Mercer.  While I find the
prospect of adding Wright at center intriguing, I'm not sure that it would
be worth the cost of giving up on a young talent like Mercer.

Eric Riley was a "pennies from heaven" find this preseason camp--far
more athletic than any of the players who manned the Bulls
"center-by-committee" in years past (with the possible exception of Brian
Williams, and yes, I refuse to call him Bison Dele!).  Although it's difficult
to preach patience, I still think that this team needs a year or two to be
serious contenders.  I think that we need to keep the nucleus intact.

As for the center position, who knows what Battie will be two full
seasons from now?  Maybe they'll find another player like Riley lurking
somewhere in free agency.  Perhaps they'll luck out in the draft yet again
for the third consecutive year.  The bottom line is that both Taylor and
Wright have to be considered inconsistent and marginal until they actually
develop as players.  I admit that Taylor has played well thus far, but how
many games is that?  Five or so?  Someone pointed out the other day (I
think it might have been Dorine) that Wright has the same problems as a
pivot that Battie has right now--too skinny, playing out of position at
center, still developing offensively, etc.

Thus, while I think that everyone (Warwick, et al) has made great points
about the need for more rebounding, interior defense, and shotblocking,
I'm not sure that the best way to go about it is to trade known
commodities for projects.  Especially LA Clipper reclamation projects.

Just my two cents,
Ryan