heading into draft day

> Mercer to Phoenix; Chapman, McCarty, Popeye and Celts #1 (2000) to
> Denver; Fortson and #9 this year to Celts.
>
> Gene

Would be a great deal for us, but can't see what's in it for
Denver - two retreads, Wallah, and a low draft pick. They
must be anxious to get something for Fortson before he walks.

> Concerning Miller and his
> being a fit for the Celtics,...what do you think about his ability to play
> defense in the NBA? He's going to be playing against an awful lot of
> quicker point guards? Yes? I have to admit that I have a hard time reading
> Miller. I'd like to believe he's going to be the quintessential pass first
> 1, but what about his lack of athleticism/quickness? Or am I just
> misjudging his athletic abilities.

Think Dennis Johnson!

> From: DJessen33@aol.com
> Subject: Watch the Warriors
>
> The trade I am looking for is Anderson for Donyell Marshall and the 10
pick.

> The 10 pick will be Radrovic or Miller.

The 10th pick would be nice, but I don't see where Marshall fits in.
It could be a nice homecoming for Donyell, but he needs minutes to
be productive and keep his head in the game, and I can't see him getting
enough of them w/Antoine and Pierce ahead of him.

> From: gil moreno <kuya_g@hotmail.com>
> Subject: re: "Jon Barry"
>
> He was drafted at #17 and traded because he was asking for to much
dough.  I
> think it was around $1.5M for three years (a bargain in today's standards),
> which back then was a lot of money!  The Celts probably felt he wasn't
worth
> that much.

Barry played very well in the playoffs this year - reminded me a bit of
Danny Ainge - tough, energetic, and hitting his shots.  He'd be a good
player off the bench, and would add a scorer to RPs second unit. (note:
I thought he was a terrible draft pick at the time - am pleased to see he's
matured and become a very good role player)

> from Vecsey in today's Post:
>
> >>Beside talking to the Bulls about Stoudamire, the Blazers and Celtics
> have also discussed a possible exchange of Ron Mercer and Dana Barros for
> Kelvin Kato, Jimmy Jackson and Walt Williams.

Is Kato that much of an improvement over Battie?  I think RP would
bring out the worst in Jim Jackson (sulking with hurt feelings or impressions
of being dissed). I love Walt Williams, though. What happened to Rasheed
Wallace in this trade?

> >>CELTICS TRADE RUMORS
> Here's everything SG has heard over the past few weeks... (6/28)
>
> #1. Three-way deal: The Bulls send their #1 overall pick to the Raptors;
> Tracy McGrady and Ron Mercer go to the Bulls; Toronto's #5 and #12 picks go
> to Boston.

I would certainly be happy with 5 & 12 for Mercer - lots of nice
options there - Miller, Artest, Szczerbiak, Radojevic

> #3. Mercer to Cleveland for the #8 pick and Derek Anderson

I love Derek Anderson - would do this in a nanosecond,
and pick up Jonathan Bender or Richard Hamilton. I don't
think Andre Miller will be avail. at #8.

> #4. A future #1 pick (either in 2000 or 2001, lottery-protected) for one of
> Atlanta's #1 picks this season (#17, #21, #22 or #27).

Yep - the Hawks have to move some of those picks, so it's a
buyer's market. I agree they should get Herren if they do this.

Seems like something will happen!

 --Ellie