Bird tribute

ESPN ran its "50 Greatest Athletes" special on Larry Bird tonight.  My
synopsis, FWIW:

Like RGO last week, ESPN did okay, but could have done much better.  These
tributes are in a general an attempt by ESPN to key on an "aesthetic"
tribute rather than a factual/practical tribute, and it takes away from the
luster and the true accomplishments of the individual.

For instance, we see far too many scribes and TV personalities who "speak so
eloquently" as opposed to former teammates/coaches.

-- There was way too much David Halberstam.  Someone please enlighten me as
to his significance in the playing career of Bird.
-- Like last week, Dan Shaughnessy has no business being in a Bird tribute.
Save him for Ted Williams.
-- The one exception I would make is Bob Ryan.  He may be a ratchet-jaw, but
he knows the Celtics well enough for his comments to be meaningful.
-- Jim Nantz?  Dick Stockton was the CBS broadcaster, not Nantz.

Also, what the hell was Orlando Wooldridge doing in this film??  Totally out
of place and unwelcome.

I could have done with less of:

-- Magic Johnson.  Mention the rivalry, yes.  But at times this turned into
the Magic tribute.
-- The section on Bird's daughter he never sees.  We are honoring Bird the
athlete, not Bird the father.  While I am a family man with three kids and
appreciate being a father very much, I would have preferred that time
devoted to more of Bird's highlight films.

Which leads me to my next point:  This tribute could have used a lot more of
Bird's playing highlights.  Instead, you get these long soliloquies
regarding Bird the man, with way too much time spent on these various
authors and sportswriters.

Were these folks even contacted?

Red Auerbach
Kevin McHale
Bill Fitch
Dave Cowens
Tiny Archibald
Bill Walton
Dennis Johnson
Chris Ford
Bob Cousy
Gil Santos
Dick Stockton

I would rather hear from these guys than David Halberstam.

Anyway, the biggest gripe I have is that #30 is WAY TOO DAMN LOW for Larry.
The show was nice, could have been better.

Comments?

Bob George

Read Bob George's Best Of Boston Sports At
http://www.bobgeorge.com