Myth & Mystique

I prefer the term "myth" because it has classical connotations and can
provide a helpful picture or image of a person, group, family, or
nation.  A myth is a model, a way of understanding, a symbol for
something that is itself involved in defining the person or group.
Thus, the "myth of the eternal return," one of antiquities oldest
stories, teaches followers that their hero or champion or saviour will
come again is some particular form to initiate a golden age.  A myth
may be based on true or imagined stories, actual or glorified
happenings, but it is a part of the definition of the group that
honors it, nonetheless.

So, in religion, the mythical setting in the Garden of Eden may or
may not be based on a literal garden or an original pair, but it has
meaning and power to define certain important beliefs about creation,
etc.

So, in politics, the myth of the fat-cat Republicans or the bleeding
heart Democrats may flow from actual or imagined facts; still, they
are powerful symbols or myths that help define the parties.

And, in basketball, the myth of "showtime" is a part of Laker lore.
To play like the Spurs or the Cavaliers would not evoke the mythical
image of what most defines the greatness of a Laker team.  To me, the
Celtics have several mythical images that are important to their fans:
 the fast-break, passing game, team-work image--as in the Celtics
taught the world how to play the game--and the leprechaun myth--that
somehow, in the big game, the Celtics are going to find a way to beat
you; it's part of their mystique.

I am a believer in the power of myth.  It defines, it energizes, it
gives hope.  I do believe we taught the world how to play the game and
I believe, when we get there again, we will find a way to win it all
again.  Have we fallen on hard times?  Of course, and that causes many
to question whether the old myths still have relevance to the present.
 They can, and they are also the invigorating elements that kindle the
resurgence of that old flame.  Look at what the presence of Russell
did this past season.  He embodied the myth.  Supposedly, the Celtics
can rise over the other pretenders precisely because we have a pattern
to follow or an image to live up to.  In baseball, it's image is the
Yankee pinstripes.

Now, for those of you, my esteemed list friends, who think the
foregoing is just a bunch of hooey, who scrolled to the end just to
see who wrote this garbage, who only want to see November
come--tomorrow wouldn't be soon enough--I'm with you.  Let's get this
summer over with!

Gene