Jersey Red: C's To Finish First In Division Next Season

      Wed, Jun 16, 1999
      RED'S WORLD: Pitino has high hopes for Celtics
      By KEN 'JERSEY RED' FORD
      Last week I told you that at long last I would address the Boston Celtics
      and I wish I hadn't, but a promise is a promise!
      The reason I'm hesitant to start a column on the C's is that I could get
      halfway through this thing and have to throw in the wastebasket and start
      over because even as I write on Friday evening, Pitino and Company are
      actively involved in several scenarios that could change the complexion of
      the team. They are listening to offers and they are making offers and
      something could happen anytime and then again absolutely nothing could
      happen at all!
      Pitino knows what he wants and he also knows what he will give to get it.
      But he will not give away the store. If they trade will be based on need
      and not on greed and Pitino fully knows what the Celtics need to get to
      the next level.
      The problem is every team they are talking to is very greedy in what they
      want from the Celtics. The president and head coach has laid all on the
      line guaranteeing that Boston will make the playoffs next year and the
      media is already having a field day with that Pitino promise claiming that
      he is in big trouble if he doesn't deliver on that promise. And you better
      believe that the media wants him to fail because that's the nature of the
      beast today.
      So you can look for some full court journalistic pressure placed on the
      coach next season, but guess what? He could care less about what they
      write in the papers or what they say on talk radio. I've known him for
      about 30 years and there is nothing more he enjoys than the "pressure"
      when comes to that.
      He is one of the richest human beings I have ever been around. At Midnight
      Madness in his second year at Providence College, he boldly announced that
      the Friars would make to the Final Four! I stood there dumbfounded and
      told him afterwards that he was NUTS. So what did the exorcist do? He took
      them to the Final Four in one of the most brilliant coaching jobs ever in
      the annals of college basketball.
      Then was off to New York and the Knicks -- a team that had just won 22
      games. In his two years there he coached them to 37 wins in his first year
      and 52 in his second, inclduing playoff appearances in both and he had
      them right on the cusp of going for a ring the next season. But was
      working for a general manager, Al Bianchi, who was unhappy with Pitino's
      style of play so Rick beat the posse out of town and headed off to the
      most pressured job in all of college basketball -- Kentucky.
      The only problem there was he took the job when they had just received a
      near death sentence from the NCAA. So what does he do at his press
      conference? You got it. He guarantees a national championship.
      They had no players. They had the toughest schedule in basketball and they
      had fans who were used to winning. And they had the dreaded media who
      loved attacking Pitino for his guarantee.
      I told him the night he took the job and made that statement that he was
      NUTS. So what does he do? He leads the Wildcats to six SEC Championships,
      five Sweet Sixteens, four Elite Eight appearances and three Final Fours!
      In his last two seasons at Kentucky he coached his team on Monday evenings
      in championship games winning one and playing Arizona to the wire in the
      other in Bluegrass land.
      He was bigger than the governor and everywhere he went he needed a police
      escort. His name hangs in the rafters of Rupp Arena and when he left they
      took hard -- real hard, but they wished him well, which brings us to
      today.
      Two years ago he took over a Celtics team that had won 18 games. That year
      this storied franchise was at its lowest point. Again he made promises at
      his press conference and immediately afterwards I told him he was NUTS.
      Well, he went out and won 36 games in his first year and then came the
      strike and with "the season from hell", a season he openly says was his
      worst as a coach. And what does he do the minute the season is over? He
      guarantees the playoffs next season!
      My response to him this time was you are not longer NUTS you are INSANE. I
      can't repeat what he said, but I'm telling you right now that I have never
      and I do mean never seen him so eager for a season to start. He has placed
      himself right where he loves the best, hanging with one hand off a ledge
      on a top of a mountain called the NBA and he loves it! This sick, sick man
      loves it.
      At the end of the season the players were told, that unlike last season,
      they had better show up in "shape" shortly in early July. They will hold a
      mini camp at the new facility in Waltham and he expects everyone to show
      up. Then it's on to the summer league games in California, where he will
      be in basketball heaven. And fortunately, I have been invited to make the
      trip!
      He has already had free agents work out and strength coach Shawn Brown is
      logging up the frequent flyer miles as he travels around the country
      checking up on the status of the players conditioning program.
      General Manager Chris Wallace and Head Scout Leo Popeil have been to the
      NBA tryout combines and working the phones and then there's the meetings.
      Pitino and his staff have held more meetings than the UN General Assembly,
      leaving no stone unturned.
      As only I can do, I chide him about being in the unemployment line if he
      doesn't make the playoffs next year.
      This past Saturday evening we had dinner in Newport along with Holy Cross
      Coach Ralph Willard, long-time friend Joey "Bombatz" Iracane and two
      friends of his from Fall River, Angelo Filippi and Freddie Bielawski. Rick
      was saying how much he truly loved living in New England and I blurted
      out, "enjoy while you can because if you don't make the playoffs next year
      you will be coaching in Alaska."
      He got that look in his eyes and said not only will they make the
      playoffs, but they be an impact team in the post season. I was about to
      say, "you're nuts" but caught myself because the look in his eyes and the
      tone in his voice was scary and also because I'm sick and tired of him
      making a fool of me. ]
      As a matter of fact I wish the season was going to start tomorrow and so
      does he.
      As for trades, all I can tell you is stay tuned. Ron Mercer is a very hot
      commodity, but he will be playing in the last year of his contract and
      with that in mind he should put some big numbers and start slashing to the
      hole getting rebounds and playing Pitino defense.
      Paul Pierce is like Elliot Ness --untouchable. Antoine Walker has hired a
      personal trainer and is working on his game on a daily basis in Chicago.
      Kenny Anderson has pleaded with Rick not to trade him. He wants to be a
      Celtic and if I had to bet on today I think he will!
      Vitaly Potopako is working out regularly in Waltham. Tony Battie will be
      significantly better and in my opinion, Dana Barros is the consummate pro,
      a Boston kid who wants to end his career in Boston.
      They all know what Pitino expects of them and like the coach, they did not
      enjoy being booed last year by the hometown fans. So on paper looks pretty
      good doesn't it?
      The only problem is the games aren't played on paper. The players must be
      prepared to play every one of the 82 games as a cohesive unit. I'm
      convinced they will win on the parquet and win often. It's the road that
      concerns me as I'm sure concerns Pitino.
      With all of that being said mark down the date because now I'm going to
      make a guarantee: the Celtics will finish first in the division next year!
      You can start saying, "Are you nuts?"
      Next week, we'll take an in-depth look at the NBA draft by one of the
      foremost hoop experts in America -- me! (Shhh. Shhh. Don't tell anyone but
      the local kid blew everyone away last week in Chicago and his stock is
      soaring).
      Ken "Jersey Red' Ford writes a weekly column for The Herald news.

           © 1999, The Herald News