Celtics can't compensate: NBA rules are no bargain

Celtics Notebook/by Steve Bulpett
Sunday, June 13, 1999
CHICAGO - When trying to sift through potential Celtics trades, remember that
many of the new collective bargaining rules are designed to restrict movement
and keep rosters stable.
Thus, while Antoine Walker's name has arisen in some talks, the fact that
he is
subject to base-year compensation rules makes it difficult for the Celts to
get
proper value in return.
For example, though Miami is very interested in Ron Mercer, and a Mercer and
Walker-for-P.J. Brown and Jamal Mashburn trade might make sense on some
levels,
it cannot work because Boston can take back just half of Walker's $9 million
contract. So while he and Mercer combine to make $11.3 next year, and Brown
and
Mashburn total $10.7 million, the C's can accept only $6.8 million.
It's more than a little confusing, but the league sees a large value in fans
being able to identify players with teams for a longer haul.
Despite the restrictions, the Celtics have still had some interesting
flirtations. To begin with, the club called all the top teams in the draft and
asked what it would take to get their pick (No. 1 Chicago shut them off at the
pass, even though it's likely the Bulls will deal the choice).
There has been some talk with Portland about Brian Grant, but word is the
Blazers would rather part with Rasheed Wallace. The Pacers were understandably
putting all their talks on hold, but two sources said Dale Davis could be
available to the Celts and that there may be room to expand the deal (Larry
Bird is said to believe Kenny Anderson still has a lot left).
If space can be made, Milwaukee free agent guards Haywoode Workman and Michael
Curry are also of interest to the Celtics.
Wallace looks on warily
Celtics general manager Chris Wallace saw some decent players at the NBA's
pre-draft camp here, but he was bit apprehensive.
``You get a little nervous when someone you like strings together two good
plays,'' Wallace said.
``There's 54 guys picking ahead of us,'' he added.
As for the locals on hand, Fall River's Chris Herren and Bostonian Wayne
Turner
(via the University of Kentucky) did well, while UMass big man Lari Ketner was
still a bit enigmatic, and former Boston College center Kostas Maglos showed
decent skills, but did not sparkle.
Said Vancouver coach Brian Hill of Turner, ``He hasn't proven he can
consistently make the outside shot, but he can penetrate and get wherever he
wants to go on the floor. And he can defend.
``I like Chris Herren,'' Hill added. ``I don't know about his off-the-court
problems and everything else, but I like his competitiveness. I think he's
probably got a little chip on his shoulder - that he's got something to prove
to a lot of people, and guys like that usually turn out to be pretty good
players. If he can handle his off-the-court problems, I think his basketball
ability is good enough to play in the NBA.''
Phoenix coach (and Celtic for life) Danny Ainge is another Herren fan.
``He's tough as nails,'' Ainge said. ``He's kind of out-of-control, but I love
his energy. I love his passion for the game. I love the fact that he's kind of
wacko. I think he's fun to watch. I enjoy watching him play. He's got a good
chance to make it.''
In assessing Turner, who was slowed a bit after banging his knee early in
camp,
Ainge said, ``I think he's a guy who can develop into a really nice point
guard. He just needs to get that outside shot.''