Re: Miami Herald: Riley should pursue Mercer

Jakob Roland Munch wrote:

>            Published Sunday, June 13, 1999, in the Miami Herald
>
>                  BARRY JACKSON
>
> Riley should pursue Mercer
>
> Heat might be able to acquire guard without giving up
> Brown

(snip)
> Celtics coach Rick Pitino says small forward Paul Pierce is practically
> untouchable but makes it clear he will listen to offers for the 6-7 Mercer, who
> played for Pitino at Kentucky.
>
> ``I know who the scorers on our team should be,'' Pitino said. ``They should be
> Antoine Walker and Paul Pierce. We all need to accept that. There's too much
> talent on our team for us not to be in the playoffs. Even my mother noticed
> that last year. She watched us and said, `You all play like you don't want to
> pass the ball.' ''

This "reporter" is wrong.  The statement was actually said by Kenny
Anderson, as quoted in this segment of Michael Holley's Globe article on
June 9:

*********
As you might expect, Anderson also doesn't think he is the problem with
the Celtics. Last month, 76ers coach Larry Brown said the problem in
Boston is that the Celtics ''have five guys who all want to score.''
Pitino agreed with that. So did Anderson. The point guard also said he
had no problem sacrificing his scoring and setting up the offense.

''I know who the scorers on our team should be,'' he said. ''They should
be Antoine Walker and Paul Pierce. We all need to accept that. There's
too much talent on our team for us not to be in the playoffs. Even my
mother noticed that last year. She watched us and said, `You all play
like you don't want to pass the ball.'''

This is a classic example of how lazy sportswriters rehash rumors, etc.
In this case, Barry Jackson was unable to even comprehend what he was
plagiarizing.  Do journalism schools now teach how to cut and paste?
--
Mike Dynon
North Kingstown, RI