Davis, but Rasheed Wallace would be fine by me...

      Celtics can't compensate: NBA rules are no bargain
      Celtics Notebook/by Steve Bulpett
      Sunday, June 13, 1999
      CHICAGO - When trying to sift through potential Celtics trades, remember
      that many of the new collective bargaining rules are designed to restrict
      movement and keep rosters stable.
      Thus, while Antoine Walker's name has arisen in some talks, the fact that
      he is subject to base-year compensation rules makes it difficult for the
      Celts to get proper value in return.
      For example, though Miami is very interested in Ron Mercer, and a Mercer
      and Walker-for-P.J. Brown and Jamal Mashburn trade might make sense on
      some levels, it cannot work because Boston can take back just half of
      Walker's $9 million contract. So while he and Mercer combine to make $11.3
      next year, and Brown and Mashburn total $10.7 million, the C's can accept
      only $6.8 million.
      It's more than a little confusing, but the league sees a large value in
      fans being able to identify players with teams for a longer haul.cw0
      Despite the restrictions, the Celtics have still had some interesting
      flirtations. To begin with, the club called all the top teams in the draft
      and asked what it would take to get their pick (No. 1 Chicago shut them
      off at the pass, even though it's likely the Bulls will deal the choice).
      There has been some talk with Portland about Brian Grant, but word is the
      Blazers would rather part with Rasheed Wallace. The Pacers were
      understandably putting all their talks on hold, but two sources said Dale
      Davis could be available to the Celts and that there may be room to expand
      the deal (Larry Bird is said to believe Kenny Anderson still has a lot
      left).
      If space can be made, Milwaukee free agent guards Haywoode Workman and
      Michael Curry are also of interest to the Celtics.
      Wallace looks on warily
      Celtics general manager Chris Wallace saw some decent players at the NBA's
      pre-draft camp here, but he was bit apprehensive.
      ``You get a little nervous when someone you like strings together two good
      plays,'' Wallace said.
      ``There's 54 guys picking ahead of us,'' he added.
      As for the locals on hand, Fall River's Chris Herren and Bostonian Wayne
      Turner (via the University of Kentucky) did well, while UMass big man Lari
      Ketner was still a bit enigmatic, and former Boston College center Kostas
      Maglos showed decent skills, but did not sparkle.
      Said Vancouver coach Brian Hill of Turner, ``He hasn't proven he can
      consistently make the outside shot, but he can penetrate and get wherever
      he wants to go on the floor. And he can defend.
      ``I like Chris Herren,'' Hill added. ``I don't know about his
      off-the-court problems and everything else, but I like his
      competitiveness. I think he's probably got a little chip on his shoulder -
      that he's got something to prove to a lot of people, and guys like that
      usually turn out to be pretty good players. If he can handle his
      off-the-court problems, I think his basketball ability is good enough to
      play in the NBA.''
      Phoenix coach (and Celtic for life) Danny Ainge is another Herren fan.
      ``He's tough as nails,'' Ainge said. ``He's kind of out-of-control, but I
      love his energy. I love his passion for the game. I love the fact that
      he's kind of wacko. I think he's fun to watch. I enjoy watching him play.
      He's got a good chance to make it.''
      In assessing Turner, who was slowed a bit after banging his knee early in
      camp, Ainge said, ``I think he's a guy who can develop into a really nice
      point guard. He just needs to get that outside shot.''