Trent, Marshall, Rogers

On Gary Trent: no chance to get this coveted free agent. The Celtics
aren't getting him with their $2M exception, and Dallas can't do a
big sign-and-trade because they are limited in the money they can
offer (2yrs, $5M). He's either going to get a big-money deal from
a team with cap room, or stay with Dallas because of an under the
table deal (and because he likes it there).

Marshall: Did he really have a great year? It seems like he actually
regressed a bit. I was under the impression that he plays small
forward also, though he rebounds very well for that position.
He's got 3 years left on an 8 year, $42M contract. I could see GS
wanting to move him because they have Caffey and Jamison as their
future frontcourt.

Rogers: If Battie for Rogers goes through, it's because Pitino has
decided that Battie doesn't fit into the budget; then he'd want to
pursue a sign and trade for someone who is too good to take the
Celtics' $2M exception but not good enough to get a big money deal.
My feeling that it is a bogus rumor at this point though. Pitino's
been crowing about this deal as one of the highlights of his GM career
recently, so I can't imagine him trading him now. And if Battie wants
big money (which would be the only reason that Pitino would want to
move him at this point) I wouldn't think the Clippers are the team
that wants to give it to him, especially since they are set at 4 and 5.
Rogers would likely be a scorer off the bench.

Maybe the midseason trade was a scheme by Pitino to motivate Battie.
Pitino knows the league will disallow the trade but pretends he
doesn't realize that. Battie thinks, "Uh oh, if I don't pick it up
I'm going to be exiled to the Clippers. I've had enough of 9-win
seasons after my first year with Denver!" OK, very doubtful even for
Pitino the manipulative motivational guru =)

Alex