Re: Holley: Credibility For Mercer For 5th Pick Deal

DJessen33@aol.com wrote:

> wayray@ix.netcom.com writes:
> > Chicago sends the 1st pick to Toronto for Tracy McGrady and the fifth
> >  and  twelfth choices.  Chicago then sends five and twelve to Boston for
> >  Mercer.
> >  One problem with this: The Bulls have to offer more than just the first
> >  pick for the Raptors to trade McGrady, five and twelve.
> >  Ray
>
> The Bulls also have the 16 pick and can send that back to Toronto...

Assuming the "inevitable", I prefer the Ron Mercer for a #5 and #12 scenario
more than trading for "Lorenzen Wright and Co." (unless Kenny and his fat
contract is also involved).

I believe Quincy Lewis and Ron Artest will be available at #12 to "replace"
Ron Mercer, and that dramatic things are bound to happen at the #5 pick
(notably if certain highly coveted players like Wally Szczerbiak drop down,
and we can auction it to the highest bidder). Remember that Lamar Odom, Elton
Brand, Steve Francis, Baron Davis and Corey Maggette could all get drafted
ahead of "Wally World". I don't believe Pitino would draft Szczerbiak in that
spot, since there could be mass confusion on the bench with both "Wallah" and
"Wally".

I also like the idea of trading for an NBA All Defensive player like PJ Brown
or Mookie. Either veteran would make an instant positive impact on team
chemistry. The downside is that we'll create a new hole at shooting guard.

If there is a three-way trade, I'd expect Chicago and Toronto will want to
send the #5 and #16 to Boston (#12 stays in Toronto or gets passed to
Chicago). At #16, the best possible players available would likely be a small
forward (Shawn Marion, Jumaine Jone...) so we might be thinking instead about
another Euro whiteboy center like Frederic "Edel" Weis or Alex Radojevic.
Basically, it would not be quite as attractive a trade for us.

BTW, I don't know if I know what I'm talking about. :-)

Joe

-----