Re: My rating

Warwick,

I think a "total player rating" is always going to be impossible
because good defense is something that you can never find in a
stat sheet.

With that in mind, I feel that blocks aren't given enough weight
in these ratings. A top intimidator like Mutombo actually changes
the whole approach of the opposing offense, more than 3 blocks
a game would indicate. Beyond the actual blocks, he changes what
were previously good shots and even discourages people from trying
to go inside. I'd rather have Mutombo at 10 ppg and 3 blocks than
some other center at 13 ppg and 0 blocks.

Generally I'd value offensive rebounds higher than defensive
rebounds also, because offensive rebounds are more difficult to
get.

Finally, missing two three throws is a -2 under your rating, but
should be no worse than a turnover at -1.25. You do get a chance
to get an offensive rebound on a missed FT so it's actually a bit
better.

Alex