In Defense of Vecsey

I respectfully disagree.  Vescey is not the dean of
basketball journalists for nothing.  He is the ne plus
ultra of reliabiltity among hoop writers, with
apologies to my friend steve at bskball.com (who says
that he doesn't hate Vescey, but rather "dislikes him
the intensity of a thousand burning suns.")  Vescey's
stuff isn't always true, either because he is
misinformed by sources, or because things don't go
through, and/or because people (like Kemp and the
Sonics) want to cover their asses.  If you fault him
for not giving away his sources, then you have to
fault all journalists for the same thing, because
that's the price of having sources.

 If you look at how many things he has actually
predicted, most of them happen.  He has far and away
the best sources on every level.  Even if you look at
the recent Penny Hardaway story, you will see that he
scooped everybody, and that he never claimed that the
deal was done, just that the Celts were seriously
considering it.  Which they clearly were, having
admitted as much.