McHale vs. Malone

>I guess any Celtic fan would argue with the statement that Malone is the
>greatest ever to play power forward.  McHale averaged 17 points, 7
> rebound a game (almost 2 assists per game! Whodathunkit?)

>Malone's stats are 26 pts/ 10 rebounds per game.

Certainly McHale's play transcends his statistics.  He was a sixth man for
several years, and often deferred to Larry Bird.

If I had to choose one based on each playing at their best, I wouldn't
hesitate to choose McHale.  In the 1986-87 season, before he broke his
foot, *nobody* could stop him.  There was an article in Playboy (yeah, I
read the articles, among other things...) at the time suggesting he was
playing better than Bird.  He was dominant at both ends of the floor - and
was one of the last shotblockers who actually tried to control possession
of the ball after a block.  It kills me to watch all the idiots today swat
the ball into the third row to pump up their fragile egos, conveniently
ignoring they just gave possession back to the other team.

On the other hand if I had to start a team with one or the other, and
wanted to cement my power forward position for the next fifteen or so
years, I would go with Malone.  His durability, along with his rock-solid
play, gives him the edge in my mind.

Dan