Pitino Joins NBA Think Tank

      Boston Herald
      Pitino joins NBA think tank
      by Steve Bulpett
      Wednesday, June 2, 1999
      The NBA game has clearly slowed its pace in recent years, but the league
      powers aren't sitting around.
      The league will announce soon it has put together a panel to discuss
      changes to the game that could help foster a return to the more
      entertaining style of the 1980s.
      Commissioner David Stern has spoken openly about his willingness to
      investigate all options, and thus the NBA office has put together a group
      that is expected to include coaches, general managers, current players and
      former players. They are expected to meet some time in the next few weeks
      in New York to offer and consider possible solutions to the low-scoring
      product that has developed.
      Altering or removing zone defense violations are being considered.
      While it is also possible there may be no changes forthcoming from the
      meeting, the league is certainly interested in the brainstorming session.
      ``I think it's just the same scenario it was maybe eight or 10 years ago
      in football where there has to be certain rule changes to allow more
      scoring, more offensive productivity,'' said Celtic coach and president
      Rick Pitino, who will take part in the meeting.
      ``We all have our ideas on how to do that. I certainly have some very
      strong sentiments. So do other people. We'll hash it out and see what
      happens.''
      One of the items sure to be on Pitino's list is a rule that would penalize
      teams from holding up players trying to cut through the lane and set
      screens. He believes the game has slowed down because the offensive
      players are being slowed by grabby defenses.