Sportsline on Baker, Mercer & Celtics.

After a month of talking, teams ready to wheel and deal
July 31, 1999
SportsLine wire reports

Penny Hardaway's career in Orlando could be entering its final moments. The
same might be true of Vin Baker's stint in Seattle, although that's a lot
less likely.

  Related Links:
Smith reportedly dealt to Blazers for Rider, Jackson
Penny could land in Toronto

1999-2000 NBA schedule

Steve Smith is expecting the Atlanta Hawks to trade him to Portland, and
the Boston Celtics have been doing their utmost to deal Ron Mercer.

Baker, who opted out of his contract and became a free agent, was leaning
toward returning to Seattle -- but not without first considering whether
he'd prefer to join the Celtics.

"I definitely want to go back to Seattle, but I have to consider where I
want to be for the next seven years of my life," Baker said. "That's going
to be based on my family and what I think is important for them.

"Obviously, Boston is a place I'd love to play, simply because of where I'm
from -- Hartford -- and where my family and friends are. But again, Seattle
is the place I'm hopefully looking forward to going back to."

Reports surfaced late in the week that the Celtics and Mavericks were
discussing a sign-and-trade deal that would send Mercer to Dallas for
Samaki Walker and a future No. 1 pick.

Although Vin Baker loves playing in Seattle, he could be headed to Boston
next season.(AP)

BOSTON ALSO WAS WILLING TO listen to almost any offer for Kenny Anderson,
while Golden State was willing to take back virtually nothing for Donyell
Marshall.