Re: This is the mentality of Celtics fans

> Yeah, that's right.  So, best case scenerio is you get a pick that turns
> into a stud who asks for a ton of money and has to be traded for some guy
> with potential and another draft pick.  And the beat goes on..... I'd rather
> see them get a solid performer with perhaps less upside, like they did with
> Potapenko (have I changed my tune on that, or what?).

Actually, in the best case, you get a pick that turns into a stud who
can't ask for a ton of money because of the new rookie contract structure.
He has to play for four years before even asking for money, and then in
the fifth year the Celtics have the right of first refusal, so they will
actually be paying fair market value, as opposed to "blackmail value".
I think the new rookie contract has really killed the value of many
players in Mercer's class.

But you are right, that player probably doesn't really help you for several
years unless you get lucky with another player like Pierce. I'd rather have
the proven performer as you say, though I do think the Celtics need another
star player - just not one that necessarily needs a lot of shots.

Alex