      Boston Herald

      Walker still in league of his own: C's captain won't join mates
      by Mark Cofman
      Tuesday, July 27, 1999
      The Celtics opened their inaugural Shaw's Pro Summer League schedule last
      night at UMass-Boston. Team captain Antoine Walker was not among those
      suiting up for the host team.
      This is not an earth-shattering development in that established league
      veterans rarely get involved in summer-league action. The rosters are made
      up predominantly of rookies, journeymen and NBA wannabes.
      The occasional star will participate, but these exhibitions largely are a
      more structured forum in which coaches and general managers can hold their
      auditions.
      But Walker, before leaving town in May following the regular season, had
      expressed a strong interest in returning to participate in the league,
      which runs through Sunday. Scheduling conflicts notwithstanding, Walker
      figured to be among those playing for the Celtics this week.
      ``It's a fun time and I'll get to see where I stand under the whistle,''
      Walker had said of the summer league the day after the Celtics completed
      the lockout-shortened season with a disappointing 19-31 record. ``I think
      a lot of guys try to shy away from that - they think they're too good to
      play in that - but I want to play if things can get worked out.''
      Walker reiterated those comments to the Herald in early June during the
      NBA predraft camp in his hometown Chicago. But the Celtics, who earlier
      this month used contract players Paul Pierce, Tony Battie, Walter McCarty
      and Vitaly Potapenko during a successful 8-0 run at the Fila Pro Summer
      League in Long Beach, Calif., began play in their own summer league
      tournament last night with McCarty and Battie aboard. Walker is not
      expected here this week.
      ``I saw him about three weeks ago (at HealthPoint in Waltham) but I
      haven't spoken to him since,'' Celtics coach Rick Pitino said last night
      before his team's opener against the Washington Wizards.
      ``(At that time) he just told us he wasn't coming, that he'd be playing
      and working out in Chicago,'' Pitino added.
      Asked if he was disappointed by Walker's decision to stay away, Pitino
      remarked: ``The only thing I've decided to comment on is what I'm seeing.
      I'm very excited by Paul Pierce. I'm very excited about Tony Battie's work
      ethic.
      ``I'm very excited about how hard Popeye (Jones) has worked to get back in
      shape. I'm very excited about (free-agent tryout) Adrian Griffin. And
      Walter McCarty is also working very hard.
      ``All I'm going to comment on is what I see. As far as I know, (Ron)
      Mercer and 'Toine could be in the greatest shape of their lives, but I
      don't know that. I'll assume that they are and that they will be (at the
      start of regular training camp). But right now I'm very excited about some
      of the other players I have seen.''