Holley On Wayne Turner

                                [The Boston Globe Online][Boston.com]
                                [Boston Globe Online / Sports]

                                Turner homes in on a spot

                                By Michael Holley, Globe Staff, 07/27/99

                                Wayne Turner said he had heard
                                rumors that the Celtics would
                                draft him. But, the 6-foot-1-inch guard
                                from Mission Hill said yesterday, he never
                                heard the whispers from Those Who Would
                                Know.

                                ''There was a lot of talk,'' Turner said
                                before the Celtics played the Wizards in
                                their Pro Summer League opener at
                                UMass-Boston. ''I never heard from the
                                `big people' that they would draft me.''

                                Turner said he watched the two-round June
                                30 draft and was disappointed no one
                                called his name. Since Turner attended the
                                University of Kentucky, many predicted
                                that Rick Pitino would draft the guard he
                                recruited. Instead, the Celtics selected
                                6-4 guard Kris Clack from Texas. Turner,
                                who participated in three NCAA
                                championship games in four years, said he
                                doesn't believe he has anything to prove.

                                ''Not to be negative, but if things don't
                                work out this year, I know they will next
                                year,'' he said. ''But I think they'll
                                work out right now.''

                                Last weekend, Turner worked out at the
                                Celtics' HealthPoint facility in Waltham.
                                He sat in the team's posh locker room
                                afterward and looked around at some
                                familiar nameplates: Ron Mercer, Antoine
                                Walker, Walter McCarty. ''It sure would be
                                nice,'' he said, ''to play with guys I
                                know.''

                                That would be fine with the fans in
                                attendance last night. Turner got a
                                standing ovation when he was introduced.
                                And several of his friends narrated the
                                action when he was dribbling or defending.

                                MICHAEL HOLLEY

                                This story ran on page E06 of the Boston
                                Globe on 07/27/99.
                                © Copyright 1999 Globe Newspaper Company.