Re: Mercer

> If the Celtics say they don't want to sign Mercer to what he wants, could
> that scare away other players from playing in Boston?
>
> Boston might develop a bad reputation.
>
> It's like in Washington.  Mitch Richmond wanted to wait and see what
> happened and how much Strickland was signed for.

I don't think not signing Mercer is somehow going to drive away potential
additions to the team. Any player that is being added, whether through
trade, sign-and-trade, or free agency, already knows what his contract
is going to be. So why would he worry about whether Boston paid Mercer?
He's just going to care about his own contract.

Now it could be an issue if players have the impression that Pitino
generally mistreats his players.

About Richmond: I'm not sure what you mean about him waiting and seeing
what happened to Strickland. He wasn't a free agent until now so it's
not like he had any choice but to wait and see. If Richmond gets the
offer he wants, he'll stay with Washington, regardless of how Strickland
was treated. It's not like he would have signed for less money if
Strickland had been paid more, so I don't see how Washington has been
hurt here.

Alex