Re: Mercer's contract

In a message dated 7/12/99 9:21:57 PM Pacific Daylight Time, awang@mit.edu
writes:

>  Mercer is seeking something close to the maximum while Boston
>  is offering less than Michael Finley numbers (5 years, $42M).
  I've been watching the Mercer discussion.  I have nothing against Mercer;
he may be fine player and a very nice man.  Or he may be a decent player and
a deeply flawed person, or even downright nasty.  But watching the talk of
his negotiations just typifies what is beginning to turn me off on pro
sports.  "only" $8,000,000 per year?  Insulting offers?  I know it's the 20th
century.  But it is getting harder and harder to watch the games without
seeing all this garbage behind it while we pay $50 for tickets to see crap
teams.  The players are going for the bucks.  And they should, as the owners
have them to give.  But no one other than us fans/fools cares if a given team
wins or loses.  Sorry.  Maybe I'm too old and cynical to be enthused over all
the off-season crapola and rumors.  I'll go home now.