Re: this whole "Walker's in out/out of shape" deal and the Sonics:

- Michael Holley ripped Pitino a new one in today's Globe, saying Walker is in
fact in great shape. Whatever kind of message RP might have been trying to
send to Walker, it wasn't to get in better shape. Was it a prelude to a trade?
Well, it's not Pitino's style to tear down a player before dealing him, but
who knows.

- Seattle apparently plans to play Ho Grant at center, at least that's what
they're saying now. Polynice didn't really work and they don't have anybody
else; if they traded Baker for Walker, they'd be even more vulnerable at pivot.

- My thoughts on a Walker/Baker deal: I just don't see where Baker gives you
much that Walker doesn't, even throwing out the cruddy seasons both had last year:

BAKER - 6'11, 250, b. 1971. Career averages: 37 mpg, 50% fg, 61% ft, 24% 3pt;
18 ppg, 9 rpg (3.3 orb), 1.3 bpg, 1 spg, 2.5 apg, 2.5 to/g, 3.3 pf/g

WALKER - 6'9, 245, b. 1975. Career averages: 37 mpg, 42% fg, 62% ft, 33% 3pt;
19.7 ppg, 9.4 rpg (3.2 orb), .7 bpg, 1.5 spg, 3.2 apg, 3.1 to/g, 3.3 pf/g

So Baker shoots for a better percentage and blocks more shots, which you'd
expect for a taller man. But they're even on the boards, and Walker brings
more to the table in terms of assists, steals and 3 point shooting. People
frustrated by Antoine's turnovers and performance at the stripe aren't going
to find any relief with Vin. Perhaps most important to me, Antoine has three
fewer seasons of NBA wear and tear, meaning he has a longer shelf life.

- I'm more open to a Mercer/Baker deal, though I will always question whether
Pierce can be as affective at 2 as at 3. The other thing is, with Walker at 3
full-time and Baker camped out down low, won't Antoine just run wild flinging
up perimeter shots? That's not his game.

Bottom line: You cannot tell me the Celtics would consider Vin Baker at $87
mil over 7 (the max salary, which he's quoted as sayiong he'll demand) while
being worried about Mercer's contract! Look, I think the money thing is a
smokescreen. Master P may be "determined" to get Mercer the maximum, but I've
read nothing to indicate any team thinks he's worth it; quite the contrary, in
fact. Though Jerry Krause reportedly likes him. If Mercer is set to be dealt,
it has to be because he doesn't like Pitino anymore, or vice versa, or it's
mutual. Let's hope not.

- Re: Payton's alleged interest in Boston. I'd want to see the URL to the
article where he said that; I'm sick of unsubstantiated hearsay. I've never
heard anything about him and Rick Pitino being good friends. If it's true, of
course I think we should try to get him, though keep in mind he is getting up
there in age. Could lead us to a championship, though. We did pretty well the
last time we picked up a veteran PG from Seattle, guy named Johnson ... Of
course, this is pipe dreamin', and I want to know what's in that pipe!