Just curious about the contracts.

>                                If the Celtics do want Baker over Walker,
>                                I hope they have done their homework.
>                                Current NBA rules state that although
>                                Walker will make $9 million next season,
>                                the most the Celtics can take back in a
>                                trade for him is $5.275 million. If Baker
>                                is re-signed by the Sonics, his contract
>                                would be similar to Walker's. In other
>                                words, they cannot be traded for each
>                                other unless another team gets involved.

I'm sorry, I'm thick and slow. I know this has been explained before,
but...why would a third team need to be involved? Couldn't the Sonics and
Celtics involve more contracts/players in this trade after Baker's
re-signed to work things out. Mercer+ perhaps, along with another player+
from Sonics? Since I'm living in the northwest and Seattle is only a short
drive away...Mercer, Walker, Payton? It's a start for that team.

Paul M.