Vin Baker: Always Been A Dream To Play For The Celtics

Unlike that evil Antoine Walker, Vin Baker is in shape. Of
course, you can never believe what you read....

                                [The Boston Globe Online][Boston.com]
                                [Boston Globe Online / Sports]

                                ON BASKETBALL
                                Baker looking for a sign that he'll end up
                                in Boston

                                By Peter May, Globe Staff, 07/08/99

                                ORLANDO - He's easily lost among
                                the supernovas in attendance. Vin
                                Baker doesn't automatically command the
                                presence of a Tim Duncan, Gary Payton,
                                Kevin Garnett, or even a Tim Hardaway and,
                                based on what he did last season, probably
                                deserves to be somewhere other than where
                                he is - playing for USA Basketball's
                                Olympic qualifying team.

                                He's here because of what he did in his
                                first five years in the league: four
                                All-Star appearances (1995-98), one
                                all-NBA second team (1998), and an all-NBA
                                third team (1997). In that span, he was
                                one of the top power forwards in the
                                league, an enviable combination of power
                                and quickness.

                                But like a lot of veterans, Baker was a
                                casualty of the lockout. He is coming off
                                what he called a ''nightmare'' of a
                                season, one that saw precipitous drops in
                                his customarily impressive stats and his
                                team, the Seattle SuperSonics, a defending
                                division champ, fail to make the playoffs.

                                Now, in addition to being ultra-
                                determined to return to his previous,
                                stellar form, he is a free agent. If
                                timing is everything, one might think that
                                Baker picked the absolute worst time to
                                offer his wares on the open market. He, of
                                course, thinks otherwise.

                                ''All the dreams that I've had can
                                possibly become a reality this summer,''
                                said the Connecticut native.

                                Not only that, he still hasn't given up on
                                his one, unrelenting hoop quest: to play
                                for the Celtics.

                                ''It's always been a dream of mine to come
                                back [to New England] and don the Celtic
                                green,'' Baker said yesterday after
                                working out with his USA Basketball
                                teammates at the Orlando Magic's practice
                                facility. ''So we'll see what can we do.''

                                Baker has long professed a desire to play
                                in Boston, but this is his first crack at
                                free agency. The Celtics don't have any
                                cap room - nor does anyone else who would
                                be appealing to him - so any deal would be
                                an enormously complicated scenario, given
                                that salary cap complexities are sure to
                                surface. That's not to say something
                                couldn't be worked out; Baker at least
                                knows the mechanics by which any deal
                                would have to be consummated.

                                ''I know if it's going to be done, it's
                                going to be a sign-and-trade,'' he said,
                                referring to a situation where the Sonics
                                would re-sign him and trade him, much the
                                way the Bulls re-signed Scottie Pippen,
                                then traded him to Houston. ''It's
                                definitely something I'd want to do.
                                Seattle is right up there, too, and I've
                                had some good times there and it's been a
                                great city. But, obviously, coming home
                                and closing out my career right up the
                                street would be great.''

                                He wasn't talking about the Connecticut
                                Pride of the CBA.

                                First and foremost, however, is getting
                                his game back to a point where anyone
                                would want him. Was there any more
                                pathetic sight last season than an
                                overweight Baker clanging one shot after
                                another from the free throw line? (He
                                missed his first 14 and 19 of his first
                                20.) He, along with Shawn Kemp and Antoine
                                Walker, basically submarined their
                                respective teams' playoff chances by
                                showing up out of shape and never
                                recovering.

                                Baker also was hurt by injuries to his
                                right knee and thumb. He missed 16 games,
                                and his 13.8 scoring average was his
                                lowest since his rookie year. He had
                                career lows in rebounding (6.2 per game),
                                shooting percentage (45.3), free throw
                                percentage (45.0) and assists (1.62 per
                                game). The Sonics couldn't even crack the
                                top eight in the Western Conference after
                                winning the Pacific Division the year
                                before in Baker's first season in Seattle.

                                ''Last year was the most disappointing
                                time in my career,'' Baker said. ''I let
                                myself get out of shape, thinking there
                                wasn't going to be a season. It was a bad,
                                bad situation. This summer, more than
                                getting a new contract or signing with any
                                team, my biggest goal is to get myself
                                ready to play, returning to All-Star form,
                                and being one of the top players in this
                                league again.''

                                He says he's already lost 15 pounds. Larry
                                Brown, the coach of the qualifying team,
                                isn't giving the boys a free ride either;
                                they're working for two hours-plus with a
                                lot of running. Baker thinks playing for
                                this team is ideal for his summer plan.
                                The tournament, in San Juan, Puerto Rico,
                                is from July 14-25, and the United States
                                needs to finish first or second to qualify
                                for the 2000 Olympics in Sydney.

                                Baker will be on that team as well. What
                                he doesn't now, at least for now, is what
                                NBA team he will be on for the 1999-2000
                                season. He will talk it over with his
                                parents in Connecticut, and his agents,
                                the Goodwin brothers, who also handle Paul
                                Pierce among others, are due here tomorrow
                                to talk about options and scenarios.

                                The way he spoke yesterday, whatever team
                                gets him is going to be glad it did. The
                                evil twin from last season is gone, Baker
                                said, never to return.

                                ''People say 50 percent, maybe even 75
                                percent of the battle is recognizing that
                                you have a problem and doing something
                                about it, which I've already done and am
                                still in the process of doing,'' he said.
                                ''I won't allow myself [to fall off the
                                map]. Everyone who knows me and has been
                                around me knows that the most important
                                thing for me is getting back to where I
                                was. Like [Muhammad] Ali said, `All it's
                                going to take is dying.' I'm doing that
                                right now. No one is going to stop me next
                                year from getting back on top.''

                                This story ran on page D06 of the Boston
                                Globe on 07/08/99.
                                © Copyright 1999 Globe Newspaper Company.