re:Toronto

>Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 10:55:18 +0100
>From: Joe Hironaka <j.hironaka@unesco.org>
>To: celtics@igtc.com
>Subject: re:Toronto
>

>    I have a few questions for anyone that may have seen or heard >last
night's game (without getting trampled).

Q. Did the Celtics use the press at all?

A. Very little (maybe two possesions).  Didn't look very good at all.
But then they didn't need it, and were missing McCarty and Bowen who
would help the pressing squad.  The good news is that they have a
genuine fast break offense now and get layups when they get the
turnovers.  And they were causing them by aggressive D, just not in a
press.  The half court offense is immeasurably better also, with Kenny
having 3 bona fide scoring threats to go to, plus himself.

Q.  How many minutes did Popeye play (if any) at center?

A.  Only a couple, and I'm not even sure who Toronto had in at 5 at the
time.  It's hard to make evaluations of this type yet, though, as Popeye
and Schinzius both looked winded most of the time they were in there.
They both looked like their feet were glued to the floor.

Q. In terms of personnel, I think the Celtics are the same or
marginally weaker on defense than last year (Kenny over Chauncy, Battie
over Knight and Pervis). But Pitino sounds super confident that the
Celts will improve most on defense this year, just through greater
experience. That's been exactly the case with every other second year
team he's coached.

A. From what I saw, Battie is an improvement over Knight defensively.
Knight had flashes, but Battie looked positively aggressive.  Of course
he got himself into foul trouble that way.  But that's OK if they're
playing with 3 centers (and 18 fouls).  Also, Pierce is much better
defensively than I expected.  And, just more physical in general.  If
there's 9 guys in the draft that are better than him, this is the rookie
crop of the century.

Cousy was absolutely gushing about the team.  He was saying things like
"they are in the mix".  And he wasn't talking final playoff spot either.
He thought there are only a couple of teams that were head and shoulders
above the rest (Pacers, Lakers).  He's usually the voice of reason, but
this is definitely over-optimistic.

Schinzius was also much better than I expected.  If he can survive
physically, he will be a fine third center.  The question is, do they
have a first and second center.  I wouldn't give up on Battie yet.  He
may not be Shaq, but with Pierce and Popeye, this seems like a much
stronger forward lineup than last year.

Jim