Bob Ryan Is Happy To See The NBA Back

                                [The Boston Globe Online][Boston.com]
                                [Boston Globe Online / Sports]

                                OK, NBA...almost all is forgiven

                                By Bob Ryan, Globe Columnist, 01/24/99

                                They're back, and I'm glad.                             [Image]

                                Oh, hey, I was a paid-up member of the ''Bleep All Those  For extensive
                                Guys'' Club while the lockout was going on. I won't deny  coverage of The
                                that. But now it's late January and I'm ready for some    Boston Celtics,
                                NBA basketball, even if it hasn't all been up to my       see The Celtics
                                artistic standards the past few years.                    in The Boston
                                                                                          Globe's
                                But it doesn't matter what I think. It only matters what  Boston.com.
                                vox populi thinks. Fans will determine the success of the
                                NBA.

                                During the height of the lockout, it was very chic, even for people who
                                professed to love the sport, to say how little they missed the game and how
                                the league could keep the players out until the Twelfth of Never for all
                                they cared. That was easy to say in October, November, or December. Now, in
                                the dead of winter, it is clearly time for some basketball.

                                ''I'm in a very forgiving mood,'' says Peter Shankman. ''I'd probably be in
                                an even better mood if the Celtics had a center.''

                                Shankman has had Celtics season tickets since 1975. He started off in the
                                balcony, was moved to splendiferous seats in the old Garden press box via
                                lottery and now occupies a nice center-court seat for which he pays $72 a
                                pop. He is someone the Celtics would not wish to offend.

                                The organization, that is. He's a little too old to worry about actually
                                relating to the players in a personal sense. As long as they shut up
                                occasionally and play ball, that will be just fine with him.

                                ''I can listen to Kenny Anderson say whatever it is he is supposed to have
                                said to that kid and say whatever he says he was kidding about on the
                                subject of selling one of his luxury cars, and it doesn't make any
                                difference to me,'' observes Shankman. ''I don't have to like these people.
                                I didn't know Larry Bird, either, and that had nothing to do with the fact
                                that I loved watching him play.''

                                Shankman is excited and intrigued for the same reason I find myself excited
                                and intrigued. The Celtics aren't contenders in any sense, but they aren't a
                                bag o' doughnuts, either. In fact, they might prove to be one of the most
                                entertaining teams in the league.

                                The most important news that came out of Celticland in the late stages of
                                the lockout was Anderson's declaration that his oft-ailing knees felt good.
                                That got my pulse rate up, because as Kenny Anderson goes, so goes the
                                Celtics' offense.

                                You all recall how it went last year; I'm sure. Anderson arrived, and the
                                offense took flight. Everyone began getting easier shots, most notably
                                Antoine Walker. When Anderson's knees kept him out of the lineup, the team's
                                offense sagged. There really isn't another true point guard on the roster,
                                and even if there were, he wouldn't have the offensive creativity of Kenny
                                Anderson.

                                With Anderson directing an offense that has Walker, Ron Mercer, Paul Pierce,
                                and, let's not forget, himself, the Celtics will be one of the more potent
                                offensive teams in the league. (I am, of course, assuming that Pierce will
                                be an instant player.) If they are running, then Walter McCarty becomes an
                                offensive threat, and there is always Dana Barros.

                                It all adds up to the product known as NBA basketball, and this, reminds
                                Shankman, is something special.

                                ''I can never understand people who say they like college ball but don't
                                like the NBA,'' says Shankman. ''These are the best college players, the
                                ones who were good enough to go on and play in this league. And college ball
                                really doesn't get good until March Madness. Oh, and don't forget the
                                zones.''

                                In the interest of full disclosure, Shankman admits the lockout wasn't all
                                bad.

                                ''It may have been the best thing that could have happened,'' he says. ''I
                                saved a lot of money. First of all, I didn't have to pay for exhibition
                                games, which mean nothing. This year, the exhibition game is free, which is
                                the way it should always be. I mean, come on. Seventy-two dollars for a
                                meaningless exhibition game?''

                                Shankman would have preferred a better home schedule, but what are you going
                                to do? Have you checked out the six Western Conference teams? Shankman has.
                                ''We get Denver, Sacramento, Vancouver, Portland, the Clippers, and
                                Minnesota,'' he points out. ''We don't get Houston, Seattle, Phoenix, San
                                Antonio, the Lakers, and Utah. I suppose the good thing is that we'll have a
                                better chance of beating the teams that are coming in here.''

                                There's one argument Shankman doesn't want to hear, and that's the one that
                                says the 1999 title won't matter because Michael Jordan will be out on a
                                golf course somewhere while the NBA playoffs are taking place.

                                ''What is the matter with people?'' he inquires. ''That would be like saying
                                that the 1970 title didn't matter because Bill Russell was no longer
                                playing. They miss the point. You have a career and then you retire. That's
                                the point. Bill Russell had his time and then Larry and Magic had their
                                time, and now Michael has had his time.''

                                Shankman isn't foolish enough to ask for another Russell or Bird, but he
                                thinks he has realistic ambitions.

                                ''Another era,'' he says. ''A run of five or six years where you have a
                                chance.''

                                It's probably too much to ask that every fan be this enlightened. But it's
                                something to strive for.

                                Bob Ryan is a Globe columnist.

                                This story ran on page E03 of the Boston Globe on 01/24/99.
                                © Copyright 1999 Globe Newspaper Company.