Lorenzen Wright: Future Celtics Center? Wright Asks Clippers For A Trade....

Wright wants $10M. a year and a six year extension on his contract.
He has asked the Clippers totrade hi immediately.  Don't rule out
a Celtics - Clippers deal....

  Web-published 5:09 PT, Saturday, January 23, 1999

  BASKETBALL
  Wright Wants to Be Traded
  Clippers: Third-year player said to be seeking six-year,

  $60-million extension.
  LONNIE WHITE, Times Staff Writer

                                              Wright's
                                              body
                                              language
                                              in the
                                              first
                                              two days

                                              of
                                              training
                                              camp
                                              with the
                                              Clippers
                                              showed
                                              how

                                              uncomfortable
                                              the
                                              third-year
                                              power
                                              forward-center
                                              was.

                                              Instead

                                              of
                                              focusing
                                              on
                                              preparing

                                              for the
                                              regular season under
                                              first-year Coach Chris
                                              Ford, Wright wants a
                                              long-term commitment
                                              similar to the recent
                                              contract extensions signed
                                              by other players from the
                                              1996 draft.
                                              But even though the
                                              Clippers are counting on
                                              big things this year from
                                              Wright, who averaged nine
                                              points and 8.8 rebounds
                                              last season, their
                                              response to him was to
                                              wait.
                                                     That answer
                                              apparently was not good
                                              enough for Wright and his
                                              agent, Robert Fayne, who
                                              made a surprise visit to
                                              College of the Desert for
                                              the team's opening
                                              practice.
                                                     "We are not here to
                                              create problems. We are
                                              here to simply say that
                                              [it is] in the best
                                              interest of the Clippers'
                                              organization and in
                                              Lorenzen Wright's best
                                              interest that a trade is
                                              consummated as quickly as
                                              possible," Fayne said
                                              Friday. "At this stage, we
                                              cannot envision a scenario
                                              whereby Lorenzen will sign
                                              with the Clippers at the
                                              end of this season."
                                                     Although Fayne did
                                              not disclose the amount
                                              he's seeking for Wright,
                                              team sources say it's a
                                              six-year, $60-million
                                              extension. Wright,
                                              selected seventh overall
                                              in the 1996 draft from
                                              Memphis, is in the final
                                              year of his three-year
                                              rookie contract and would
                                              have earned $1,923,600
                                              this season before the
                                              lockout.
                                                     Because of the
                                              lockout, the Clippers
                                              could not officially begin
                                              talks with Wright about a
                                              contract extension until
                                              this week. As expected,
                                              the Clippers were not
                                              pleased with the timing of
                                              Wright's request.
                                                     "The season hasn't
                                              even started and to get
                                              into all of this stuff is
                                              premature," said Elgin
                                              Baylor, vice president of
                                              basketball operations.
                                              "There's plenty of time.
                                              We haven't even played a
                                              game yet. It's the second
                                              day of training camp."
                                                     Over the last three
                                              days, Fayne has met with
                                              Baylor and Executive Vice
                                              President Andy Roeser to
                                              discuss Wright's future.
                                              But he blames owner Donald
                                              Sterling for the
                                              standstill since the end
                                              of last season, when both
                                              sides talked briefly about
                                              working out a deal.
                                                     "I am sure that
                                              [Baylor and Roeser] take
                                              their direction from the
                                              owner, because he's the
                                              one who signs the checks,"
                                              Fayne said.
                                                     With center Michael
                                              Olowokandi, last year's
                                              No. 1 draft pick, still in
                                              Italy honoring his
                                              contract with Kinder
                                              Bologna until early next
                                              month, Wright is
                                              considered a key to the
                                              Clippers' season because
                                              of his ability to play
                                              power forward and center.
                                                     In his first two
                                              seasons, Wright had his
                                              ups and downs with
                                              then-coach Bill Fitch. But
                                              when given more minutes,
                                              Wright played well. Over
                                              one 12-game stretch last
                                              season, he averaged 14.6
                                              points and 13.6 rebounds
                                              before being sidelined for
                                              seven of the next eight
                                              games because of knee and
                                              ankle injuries.
                                                     "I've been here two
                                              years battling with Coach
                                              Fitch the whole time and
                                              now I finally get a coach
                                              that I can work with,"
                                              Wright said when asked if
                                              he wanted to remain a
                                              Clipper if a deal could be
                                              worked out before the
                                              March 13 league-wide
                                              deadline for contract
                                              extensions.
                                                     "I think [Baylor]
                                              wants me here and I think
                                              Coach [Ford], based on
                                              what he's said, wants me
                                              to be here. It's just a
                                              matter of them locking me
                                              up. They're scared to make
                                              a commitment."
                                                     With only four more
                                              days before the end of
                                              two-a-day practices and
                                              less than a week before
                                              the Clippers face the
                                              Lakers in an exhibition
                                              game, Wright says he will
                                              not make his contract
                                              situation a distraction.
                                                     "This doesn't
                                              bother me. I'm going to
                                              work hard for Coach Ford,"
                                              Wright said. "I want him
                                              to know that this is not a
                                              stress on me playing
                                              basketball. I'm going to
                                              give 110% like I always
                                              do.
                                                     "It's going to be
                                              up to the Clippers when
                                              they trade me. I think
                                              they will trade me because
                                              the Clippers have always
                                              made good decisions on
                                              getting rid of players. I
                                              know they don't want to
                                              just hold on to me and get
                                              nothing for me next year."
                                              For the first two days of
                                              training camp, Coach Chris
                                              Ford has gone with a first
                                              team of guards Darrick
                                              Martin and Eric
                                              Piatkowski, forwards
                                              Lamond Murray and Rodney
                                              Rogers and Lorenzen
                                              Wright. The second unit
                                              has been made up of guards
                                              Pooh Richardson, Charles
                                              Smith and James Robinson,
                                              forwards Maurice Taylor
                                              and Brian Skinner and
                                              center Stojko Vrankovic,
                                              who turned 35 on Friday.
                                              The team celebrated
                                              Vrankovic's birthday with
                                              a cake after the morning
                                              practice.
                                                     Conditioning
                                              continues to be an issue
                                              with the Clippers because
                                              Ford wants to run an
                                              up-tempo system. Johnny
                                              Doyle, strength and
                                              conditioning coach, said
                                              he was pleased with the
                                              overall shape of the
                                              players but concedes that
                                              some still need work. "I
                                              was a little surprised
                                              because I thought it was
                                              going to be worse than
                                              what it is," Doyle said.
                                              "We just have a few guys
                                              who are a little out of
                                              shape and we're going to
                                              get to them. We can't get
                                              in everything in one day,
                                              but we're going to slowly
                                              but surely get them into
                                              shape." <snip>

                           Copyright © 1999; Los Angeles Times and Total Sports Inc.
                            All Rights Reserved.