                  Boston Herald

                  A big Pierce of the puzzle
                  by Steve Bulpett

                  Saturday, January 23, 1999

                  It's not enough to listen to Rick Pitino talking about
                  Paul Pierce. You have to see his face when the rookie's
                  name comes up in conversation. You have to see Pitino's
                  eyes widen.

                  Now that he's seen Pierce in person, it's clear he
                  believes the Celtics were beyond fortunate to have him
                  slip to No. 10 in last June's draft.

                  ``You'd have to have an hour show,'' Pitino said when
                  asked what's impressed him about Pierce thus far. ``He's
                  one of the more impressive young men I've ever worked with
                  in my life. First of all, he's much stronger than I
                  anticipated. He's much more aware of defense than I ever
                  believed.

                  ``This young man is the real deal. He's definitely for
                  real. He's a great, great draft pick - much better than I
                  ever anticipated.

                 ``Paul Pierce has impressed me, just with his power going
                  to the basket, his scoring ability - he's physically a
                  very gifted young man. All he needs now is to learn what
                  he's doing and he's going to be terrific. I'm really
                  excited about him. You have Pierce on one wing, (Ron)
                  Mercer on the other. Both guys can score, put it on the
                  floor. (Walter) McCarty's playing terrific. Popeye (Jones)
                  is a great addition. And Tony Battie is a weight room away
                  from really being a major factor in our system.''

                  There were trade rumors involving Pierce this past week
                  but they came from other clubs (most notably Cleveland as
                  Wayne Embry has coveted him since the draft) trying to pry
                  him away. But Pitino said yesterday he doesn't care who
                  gets offered, Pierce is going nowhere.

                  Pitino gets defensive

                  It looks like it's going to be no more Mr. Nice Celtics.
                  Pitino predicts problems for opponents taking trips to the
                  basket.

                  ``We're trying to develop a defensive philosophy of being
                  a lot tougher both mentally and physically,'' he said.
                  ``With that, we're just concentrating most on defense. Our
                  offense is not going to be ready, but we don't care. We
                  want to build a defensive philosophy. We're trying to set
                  a new tone physically. We're trying to become a physical
                  basketball team.

                  ``Everybody's hitting. Nobody goes to the rim without
                  being hit.''

                  Garnett sticks around

                  Good news for Marlon Garnett: Pitino said he plans no
                  cuts.

                  The Celtics have 15 contracts, but they will dine on
                  Dontae' Jones' pact, and Pervis Ellison is still out after
                  ankle surgery. That leaves 13 bodies, and Pitino said he
                  wants Garnett as a third point guard.

                  The free tickets for the Celtics' open practices at New
                  Hampshire College in Manchester (tonight), Worcester
                  Centrum Centre (Thursday) and Providence Civic Center
                  (Feb. 1) have all been snapped up.

                  There was no advance ticket distribution for tomorrow's
                  afternoon session at the FleetCenter. It's first-come
                  first-served, with doors opening at 1 p.m.

                  Red Auerbach noticed all the Celtic assistants, scouts,
                  etc., and said, ``When I ran a practice, you could shoot
                  pigeons in there. There was nobody there, no assistants. I
                  was all by myself. I look around here, he's got guys
                  coming out of his ears. But they run a great practice.''