Re: Sam Smith Takes Shot At Celtics

-----Original Message-----
From: Way Of The Ray <wayray@ix.netcom.com>
In the Chicago Tribune -- 1/20/99 -- Smith said:

>"It doesn't seem as if the Bulls got much for a good part of their
>championship team, but they may have accomplished a lot toward a
>quick rebuilding.

My only comment is wait and see what happens. As far as I can see, most top
free agents are going to sign with their teams, so it really doesn't matter
how much money you have under the cap. Also, if you think that FA's are
going to come running to sign with you because you are Chicago Bulls..then
you have another thing coming. Krause will have to learn to plead and beg a
little bit, when players and agents start jerking him around. Just watch
plight of Phoenix Suns they surrendered 2 first round draft picks + players
for McDyess and what did he give them in return "middle of a doughnut".

>"Consider the Celtics, who held onto their stars until they had to
>retire.

>:They haven't been to the the Eastern Finals in 12 years and don't seem
>headed back any time soon.

We have some chance to go to eastern finals within couple of year, but the
Bulls won't be able to even sniff the playoffs in years to come.

>"And they've still got Red Auerbach."

And they will still have Jerry Krause <twice executive of the year>.
                                                                         -
Mishra