Re: Pivot possibilities

peter delevett wrote:

> I have to laugh at this Schintzius talk. The only reason the guy isn't past
> his prime (he was a senior at Florida in 1990, the same year Dee Brown came
> out of Jacksonville, meaning he's got to be at least 31) is that he never HAD
> a prime.

THis happens almost every year at the start of the season, last year too Leo
Pappile had two Shaq prototypes that he was taking wagers on that atleast one
would make the starting 5. The only year we had a legit guy was when we had Isaac
Austin and Mr Clueless didn't sign him up.

> I'd be
> inclined to find other uses for the exception, like say Eric Murdock or Dell
> Curry, who would make Dana more expendable).

I wonder who would take Dana ? He is pulling 3 million as a backup point, if
there is any team that desperate the C's should get rid of him ASAP. Murdock,
Douglas etc would be good choices as backups for Anderson.

> However, this report that Orlando may be looking to trade Keon Clark seems to
> have legs -- Sporting News is reporting that they're trying to interest Denver
> in Clark and Johnny Taylor for Denver's #1 pick, in an effort to clear cap
> space for Ike Austin.

I don't see the use of a Keon Clark, RP has his work cutout to transform Battie
from "El Busto" to a "not Busto" .

> Since Michael Stewart seems to have priced himself out of our reach.

I don't think Stewart has priced himself out of our reach actually it would be
foolish to give Stewart a bigger contract. Other than the one AP news I haven't
seen a confirmation of the Stewart deal with Toronto, so maybe that is not a done
deal yet.

> Jeremy, I like your Popeye-for-Potapenko idea, if only to add legitimate size
> in the pivot.

This will be a real good deal because if Shawn Kemp is indeed 300+ lbs, Cleveland
will need a rebounding PF.

> Then again, considering how good Popeye is on the boards, we
> might wanna keep him.

Popeye is a good rebounder but he is more of a position guy and doesn't run the
floor that well hence may not fit our run and gun system.

> I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Battie really is
> 6'11 and that Shaun Brown can beef him up (he's already put on 10 pounds since
> getting drafted last year). If he's really even 6'10, 240, he's about the same
> size as Stewart, meaning that we're not giving up too much there. Battie is a
> much better scorer -- Stewart only scores on garbage & put backs, Battie can
> shoot it from 10 or 12 feet and is, I believe, a decent low-post scorer.

I am not too worried about his height it's way overrated after all what is an
inch if you can make that up in wing span. The more important question is Can he
play ? If he can, then we have a steal, I wouldn't judge his abilities from last
years performance, that Denver team was terrible including the coach and GM. I
also wouldn't trade Battie in a deal without having a serious look at him, which
means atleast half a season, which is what Mercer took to get comfortable in the
NBA even though he was aquainted with the system.

> Bottom line: if
> we're playing a center-by-committee again, at least it will be a more
> qualified committee!

I agree. - Mishra