Re: Strange rumors -Reply

>>> Josh Ozersky <josh_ozersky@yahoo.com> 01/19/99 09:20am >>>
I am always amazed that people think that 6'10 or 6'11 is not tall
enough to be a center, but that seven feet is.  First of all, you
block shots with your arms, not your head, so your wingspan is far
more important.  There is also the matter of skill and athleticism.
Hakeem Olajuowan and Bill Russell are six ten and six nine,
respectively.  Nor is Tim Duncan a seven footer.  He seems to be doing
okay.  Battie has a lot of potential, although I will say that he
never blocked nine shots in a game or had nineteen rebounds in a game,
as Michael Stewart did.  The question about minutes is relevant.  You
have to assume Pitino is penciling in Battie as his center. <<<

josh <<<

I second Josh's observation.  Also, a lot will be predicated on
game-to-game match ups.  There aren't a lot of traditional pivots in the
league, so there will be nights when having a serviceable center (or
even a natural power forward who might have to play out of position as
a 5) will be more than adequate.  IMO, that's the main reason why a
player like Alonzo Mourning is (relatively) effective--there just aren't that
many quality centers out there, so he faces also-rans in many games.

However, against some players (i.e.--big, powerful, true centers),
Mourning struggles.  Likely so will Battie, DeClerq, et al.  Battie is still
young, as this should be his chronological rookie year.  Hopefully, he'll
prove to be a hard worker in the weight room so he can develop a
physique that will facilitate low-post play on both ends of the floor.

Besides, the team is shaping up to be a perimeter oriented team anyway.
 Does anyone really think that Pitino is looking at Battie to be a force
down low?  He'll be lucky if he ever sees the ball, given Walker's shot
selection!  I think Pitino and Wallace look at Battie as an athletic player
who can run well, hopefully anchor the press as a shot blocker, and
perhaps score in transition and on offensive rebounds.  Anything else
would be gravy.

I suppose that if McCarty can play some power forward (as he did at
times last season), than a player like Battie should be able to split time at
power forward and center.