RE: The Knight/Battie Trade

In the spirit of the FA season to top all others; is there a recognized
capologist in the house?  Reading the attached Faker group item, complicates
the what would appear to be easy deal of nearly identical salaries.  What
gives with all this base year hoo haw anyway, especially in light of the new
cba (does anyone really know the details of the new one anyone, as it has
not been finalized, thereby making comments on this trade impossible,
right)?

Personally I like the trade if for nothing else Battie's contract has only 2
years, and I think that Trav is a nice enough guy that he might as well
enjoy where he is.  Battie can prove himself in 2 years, and be signed
long-term if he deserves it.  I ask though, why not pick-up Fox in some deal
like this.  I have long preached for admitting our mistake and getting him
back in Green.

Battie with Stewart and w/o Popeye shapes up like this:

Stewart/Declerq/Battie
AW/Battie/MS/DQ
Pierce/McCarty/AW/Minor
Mercer/Bowen/Pierce/Minor
Kenny/Barros/FA pick-up w/ minor exception

Here again is a 12 man team, without pure depth at only the center position
and PG, based on Dana's skills and lack of experience likely on the part of
a very your FA (Alvin ?).

How about Terry Porter for a 2 year deal as a back-up/tutor PG FA?  Then
keep him as possible guard assistant.  He wants to finish his career at home
in Milwaukee though.

Overall a likely good deal, along as we get Stewart, as it appears he maybe
the only center worth having left, assuming Austin goes south, assuming he
is worth having.

17th in 2001!!!,
Ode