Larry Coon Dismisses The Knight/Battie Trade

I found this one on the hated Lakers news group.  I think Laker
Larry brings up some good points in his post.  It would seem in order
to acquire Battie straight up for Knight, the C's are going to have
to renounce all their free agents including Popeye.  Then they'll be
$1.7 M. under the cap, and this deal can proceed.

If you think about it, you don't need both Popeye and Battie, since
they basically both play the 4 position, although Battie may be more
suited to being a big 3 like Robert Horry.
Ray

-- BEGIN included message

S.B. wrote:

> Espn is reporting that the Lakers and Celtics are trying to do a Battie and
> Travis Knight deal. Will this work because picking up Knight for Batie might
> not be a bad thing. Especially if we don't have to give up anybody from the
> nucleus of the team.

The Lakers are capped out, and Boston is probably
also capped out unless they renounce Tyus Edney,
Reggie Hanson, Popeye Jones, and Zan Tabak.  So
any deal would probably have to work under the
15% rule.

Knight's salary is $2.4 million, but since his
contract was signed prior to the 97-98 season,
he's in his second and final year as a base year
player.  As such, his trade value is the greater
of 120% of the salary in the last year of his
old contract and 2/3 the salary for this year.
His previous contract was a one-year deal at the
then rookie minimum of $220,000.  120% of that
is $264,000.  Two-thirds of his current salary
is $1.6 million, so $1.6 million is his trade
value.

Battie's salary is $2.239 million.  He was also
signed prior to 97-98, but since that he is
playing under his three-year rookie contract,
he is not a base year player.  So his trade value
is $2.239 million.

The most the Celtics could acquire in a trade for
Knight is (1,600,000 * 1.15) + 100,000 = $1.94
million.  Battie's $2.239 million is too much.

So in order to do this trade, the Celts would have
to throw in extra salary for around $300,000.
More likely, it was a rumor made up by another media
member who needed something to write about but
didn't know how the BYC rule worked.

Larry Coon
University of California
larry@assist.org