Bulpett: Antoine Arrives

                  Boston Herald

                  The ball's in Walker's court now
                  by Steve Bulpett

                  Monday, January 18, 1999

                  Now that Antoine Walker has gotten this far - Boston - the
                  distance he will travel in his career is up to him,
                  according to his teammates.

                  Celtics general manager Chris Wallace said yesterday that
                  Walker has made it into town from Chicago, and the
                  captain's colleagues have no doubt he will be ready for
                  training camp. They also agree that, in his third season,
                  it is time for Walker to accept the leadership obligation
                  his talent dictates he must.

                  ``I think his game speaks for itself,'' said guard Dana
                   Barros. ``He has all the tools. It's just a matter of what
                   he wants to do with the tools.

                 ``He's still only 22 years old. So I mean, from a mental
                  standpoint, he's only going to grow. As far as his
                  physical game, if he gets better than what he is now, even
                  if he gets 15 percent better, he'll be unbelievable. He's
                  already a great player now, but once he learns exactly
                  what he can do and can't do, I think the sky's the limit
                  for him. But again, what he does with that is up to him.
                  If he wanted to, he could be close to 20, 10 and seven
                  (points, rebounds and assists per game). That's all up to
                  Antoine and how he wants to use his skills, because he
                  does have the skills necessary.''
                  As guard Kenny Anderson sees it, Walker is simply passing
                  through the phases each young player encounters
                 ``When I got here last year, I could see and understand
                  what he was going through and what he's playing for,''
                  Anderson said. ``The bottom line is you get in the league
                  and you're young and you're used to stats and used to
                  numbers. So you just want to continue that, just get stats
                  and just get numbers. I understand that. Then secondly,
                  you want the money. You want to take care of your family.
                  You want the big contract.

                 ``Once you get the big contract, everything then is the
                  ring. Like, `What do I have to do to get this team over
                  the top?' That's where I'm at in my career. Hopefully
                  he'll understand that and be there, too, because for me
                  the window is open just a crack. It's about to close. I
                  know I'm on a young team, but it's time to get moving for
                  this team. We have a lot of talent, and Antoine's a big
                  part of that. Antoine's a great player, and I know we can
                  do some good things here with the nucleus we have. It's
                  time to step up.''

                  The most encouraging words come from Ron Mercer, who was
                  also a teammate of Walker's at Kentucky. Far from what
                  Walker's absence for the first week of voluntary workouts
                  seemed to indicate, Mercer believes his friend has put the
                  side issues together and will be ready to handle the full
                  extent of his job - on the court and off.

                  ``I think Antoine's going to be fine,'' Mercer said. ``I
                  spent some time with Antoine during the summer, and he's a
                  totally different person. I've never seen him more excited
                  than he is about this year. He's a totally different
                  person. He's going to come out and play hard, and you'll
                  see a different Antoine Walker. He's just glad to be back.
                  A lot of people are going to be surprised. I think he's
                  going to be fine.

                  ``I think he recognizes a lot of things from last year. He
                  wanted to go out and prove himself as a basketball player
                  last year. This year he's going to be more of Antoine
                  Walker as a leader. He's going to do a lot of things this
                  year. I wouldn't even worry about it.''

                  Because they know Walker's not a bad guy, his mates are
                  perfectly willing to cut him slack. The fact is just four
                  players attended the Friday and Saturday workouts, and
                  while it would have looked good for the club to have
                  Walker on hand, the situation did not create a true
                  problem.

                  ``You have to remember Antoine's still young and he has a
                  lot of things going on in his life right now for a
                  22-year-old guy,'' Barros said. ``The media is on him, and
                  basketball is hard enough for a guy that age. Coming in
                  with all the pressure and the skills and everybody's
                  saying what he should do and shouldn't do - and then he
                  has the personal situations that he has with his contract
                  and all that.

                  ``I mean, there's a lot going on for him right now. I
                  can't say what's going through his mind, but if everything
                  was normal, yeah, he probably would have been here at the
                  start of the week. I just think he didn't want to deal
                  with things until it was time to deal with them. And
                  whether that's right or wrong, I can't speak for him. I
                  just think he's doing what he has to do, and when the time
                  comes he'll handle everything.''

                  The time is drawing near for Walker, in the long-term
                  sense, as well.

                  ``I think a lot of the things we're talking about will
                  come with maturity,'' said Anderson. ``But Antoine has
                  understand that he's the center guy on this team.''