Thoughts on new CBA and upcoming season

1.  From what I've heard I like the new CBA vis-a-vis what it means for
keeping the C's young nucleus together for a while.  Kenny A., Antoine and
Pierce will all be tied up for 4-6 years each.  I'm a little nervous that
Mercer might be sacrificed for a stud PF or C (which would kill me since
he's my favorite Celt these days).

2.  I think that the C's should continue to build their team in the mold of
(bite my tounge) the Pistons (c. late 1980s) and Bulls - great guards and
forwards, serviceable centers (i.e. Laimbeer, Longley).  In that vain these
are the centers I'd like the C's to persue:

a.  Ike Austin - only if he can be had a fairly reasonable price.  Remember
he, like Walker, falls into the 0-6 category.  I think he proved that he
can't carry a team that has no talent (on the Clippers), but can be a
terror if he's not the focus of the defense & offense (on Miami).

b.  Ervin Johnson - no one is ever going to confuse him with the original
Ervin Johnson, but he's is real decent center (10 ppg, 11 rpg, 2-3 bpg).
The rumor is is that George Karl is shopping him.  Remember he fell out
with Karl when they were both in Seattle.  How about Knight/Minor for EJ?

c.  Matt Geiger - I'm not very excited about Geiger but I suppose he'd be a
step up from Knight.

3.  The 50 game season will help us in the short-run.  I think since
Mercer, Walker and McCarty have been playing this system for 3-5 years now,
everyone but Pierce and any FAs we get will have last year under their belt
and know what to expect, we'll have a leg up on everyone else.

In the press conf today (I only saw highlights on ESPNews) Pitino likened
the season to a longer college season - perfectly suited for Pitino's
rah-rah mentality.  I think He'll whip the C's into shape and they'll be
running rings around 75% of the teams they play b/c of either poor
conditioning or so many new faces w/ Free Agency (esp. teams like the
Hawks, Bulls & Suns).

It may hurt us in the long run b/c we may do better and get a higher pick
therefore than we would have done in a full season.  My darkhorse candidate
for NBA Champs (with an asterick, of course):  Pacers.  They are a veteran
team, I think MJ won't be back, they have 9 of 12 players returning and
they have been working out together during the lockout according to
reports.

4.  I know none of us are Collective Bargaining experts yet (since it
hasn't been printed) but I was just thinking...what are the possibilities
of Walker only wanting a 3 year contract?  B/c of the new rules, he is
eligible to make more money after his 6th year.  Will this be a major
feature in the rookie extensions of the rookie classes of 1997 & 1998
(Duncan, Iverson, et al).  Maybe this will present the C's with some
creative opportunities b/c most of our deadweight is loose after 2-3 years!

>                  In the new agreement, Walker falls into the 0-6 year
>                  category and can start his next contract at as much as $9
>                  million. With 12 percent raises for players staying with
>                  their own teams, the Celtics will be able this summer to
>                  offer him seven years at a total of $85,680,000 - an
>                  average of $12,240,000.
Mark Piotrowski
Registrar,
Northwestern University Prosthetic-Orthotic Center
345 E. Superior St.
Room. 1712
Chicago, IL 60611

(312) 908-8006