Bob Ryan On The Players Greed

                                [The Boston Globe Online][Boston.com]
                                [Boston Globe Online / Sports]

                                Greed was truly the name of the game to most players

                                By Bob Ryan, Globe Columnist, 01/07/99

                                We are left to ask what the whole thing was all about.

                                The baseball strike of 1994-95 was all about deciding how management and
                                players were going to divide an estimated $1 billion in revenues. The
                                basketball lockout of 1998-99 was all about deciding how management and
                                players were going to divide an estimated $2 billion in revenues.

                                In a sport with just 12 players on a team.

                                One of the things we learned from this disastrous six months of arguing
                                about great gobs of money is that the NBA players have been so disgustingly
                                spoiled by our society worship of their skills that they have absolutely no
                                perspective. They really do not accept the fact that they live in a dream
                                world. This is probably not a news bulletin, but I'm not sure we all fully
                                grasped the degree of their insularity until now.

                                Did they actually believe the public would identify any of them as oppressed
                                workers? Did they actually believe that the public would sympathize with the
                                quest of the $3 million man to make $5 million, the $8 million man to make
                                $12 million, or the $15 million man to become Michael Jordan? Did they
                                actually believe the public would have the slightest amount of sympathy for
                                players in a league where the minimum salary was $250,000 (it will now be
                                much higher) and the median salary was $1.2 million?

                                What is the matter with these people?

                                When the lockout was imposed, they were already the highest-paid athletes in
                                American sport, by every measure. They enjoy fabulous working conditions,
                                flying around the country in charter planes that are equipped with every
                                conceivable luxury, staying in four-star hotels, and generally being treated
                                by both their organizations and the public as traveling royalty.

                                The players also seemed to have lost sight of the fact that we live in a
                                capitalist society. The owners put up the money and take all the risks. They
                                are entitled to a profit, and why shouldn't it be a hefty profit? That is
                                the very nature of our system. Left-leaning idealists might wish for some
                                sort of worker ownership situation, but we're nowhere close to having that
                                in any of our sporting ventures, and we probably never will be.

                                What is so apparent, and so little-discussed, is the notion that these
                                so-called sports unions aren't unions in the real sense at all, nor can they
                                ever be. Labor-management negotiations in sports are farcical. They have
                                nothing to do with real-life labor-management negotiations because in real
                                life, the workers really are all equal. There are no star players, regular
                                players, or fringe players in a real union. There are no individual
                                contracts in a real union. There are no hardball agents demanding
                                back-breaking salaries for stars that will, by definition, suppress the
                                earning capabilities of lower-profile teammates.

                                Once upon a time, there was a real need for sports unions. Players really
                                were exploited by uncaring owners. Fifty years ago, no one in professional
                                basketball, or any other sport, had health benefits. There was no minimum
                                salary, no pension, no body of rules governing working conditions. It was a
                                take-it-or-leave-it world, and that wasn't right, either. But the salary gap
                                between the highest-paid players and the lowest-paid players wasn't that
                                significant. They really were in it together.

                                Securing those basic rights is the most important function of sports unions.
                                You've got to stay on top of owners; we all understand that. Few owners get
                                into sport with altruistic intent. But that doesn't change the simple
                                reality that no sports union can hope to serve the interests of all when
                                within its umbrella, so many people have so many individual agendas.

                                The great fiction of the NBA lockout from the players' viewpoint was that
                                they were all in something together. It just wasn't so. It was always all
                                about the high-end players and their agents, and nothing else. How could the
                                rank-and-file have been so naive as to think that Billy Hunter, David Falk,
                                and Arn Tellem were looking out for their best interests? If the stars cared
                                about anything other than themselves, they wouldn't place clubs in such
                                impossible salary binds. Can't they see that?

                                I had to laugh when Hunter would lament the growing number of players making
                                the minimum salary. Did he ever stop to think that perhaps the Shaquille
                                O'Neals and Kevin Garnetts of the world were the reason? If people like that
                                are making $15 million-$20 million a year, what is left for the others?
                                Wouldn't $8 million or $10 million be enough?

                                Well, no, nothing is ever enough. We have baseball players signing $90
                                million contracts laden with, of all things, incentive clauses. And we have
                                NBA players, members of the highest-paid union in the universe, acting
                                insulted because someone is asking to cap their potential earnings at $14
                                million a year.

                                People are always asking the owners to say no, aren't they? Finally, they
                                did, but it was not as if they all morphed into Ebenezer Scrooge. When it's
                                all said and done, the NBA players will have retained the honor of being our
                                best-paid athletes. By accepting this deal, the players are not being
                                plunged into penury. There can still be a luxury car in the driveway for
                                both the player and his lady.

                                A frightening percentage of NBA players have been led to believe since the
                                age of 13 or so that they were Chosen People. Recruited by high schools, AAU
                                teams, and colleges, and fawned over by everyone they've met, they have a
                                well-developed sense of entitlement. We created this monster, and the NBA
                                owners are finally attempting to tame it.

                                Now we're going to find out if anyone still cares.

                                Bob Ryan is a Globe columnist.

                                This story ran on page D01 of the Boston Globe on 01/07/99.
                                © Copyright 1998 Globe Newspaper Company.