Steve Wyche On Today's Vote Of Confusion

         Published Wednesday, January 6, 1999, in the Miami
                              Herald
         NBA
        Players to vote today

        Open ballot may not favor owners

        By STEVE WYCHE
        Herald Sports Writer

        Leaders of the
        NBA's players
        union are
        expected to
        allow each
        willing member
        to raise his
        voice, or at
        least his
        hand, in a
        vote today
        regarding the
        league's
        unsettled
        labor
        situation. The
        results could determine whether there will be a
        season.

        But some players may not be willing to be heard or
        seen out of fear of reprisals from their
        colleagues, some players and agents said Tuesday.

        ``I think it would be a different story if it were
        a secret vote,'' said a Heat player who asked not
        to be named because he might side vote for the
        owners' offer. ``If it's going to be an open forum
        the majority would reject the deal like the union
        wants.

        ``Behind closed doors who knows what could
        happen.''

        There won't be any doors to be closed, according to
        union sources.

        An estimated 200 players of the union's 400-plus
        membership are expected in New York this afternoon
        to vote before the entire assembly on whether to
        reject the ``final'' offer submitted by league
        owners Dec. 27.

        The Heat's Alonzo Mourning, a member of the union's
        negotiating committee, Tim Hardaway, Mark
        Strickland, Eric Murdock and Keith Askins, who last
        week publicly demanded a vote, will be on hand.

        Askins is the only Miami player to go on record
        saying he would vote for the owners' deal. Two more
        said they would be inclined to do so but requested
        to remain anonymous.

        ``They shouldn't use a secret ballot,'' said agent
        Keith Glass, who represents Heat free agents Eric
        Murdock and Marty Conlon. ``If you want to take a
        position, stand up and take a position. The owners
        are saying to the guys `We know we've pushed you
        around and we have not negotiated, but do you want
        to play or not? This is an oppressive deal.''

        Should the majority of players vote against the
        owners' proposal, the sixth-month labor standoff
        could come to an unprecedented end Thursday -- the
        NBA's deadline -- with owners canceling the season.
        No North American professional sports league has
        lost an entire season.

        Should the majority of players vote in favor of the
        owners' proposal, it is unclear how the NBA will
        react but is seemingly would call for immediate
        talks with the union to finalize an agreement. The
        NBA and its Labor Relations Committee rejected the
        union's ``final'' offer on Monday.

        Union leadership said it will report the outcome of
        the vote to the NBA either way.

        Several agents and some players said that even if
        owners cancel the season, a deal could be struck a
        day or two later. NBA deputy commissioner Russ
        Granik said Monday that once the season is
        canceled, it is canceled.

        ``It looks very bleak right now,'' Murdock said.

        The sides appear close enough on several issues --
        including maximum player salaries, the length of
        rookie contracts and the overall percentage of
        league revenues paid to players -- that one last
        bargaining session could generate an accord.

        Union leadership proclaimed Tuesday it will suggest
        to all those assembled to reject the owners' deal.
        It then will call for a vote either by roll call or
        a show of hands.

        The vote actually may not come until Thursday, the
        league's deadline, as some close to the union said
        the brunt of today's meeting may be to ``educate,''
        if not persuade players, to stay strong with the
        union.

        ``We want to get out the message that they really
        understand the deal,'' Hawks guard Steve Smith
        said. ``Our stand is the deal is not good for us.''

        Some disagree. But it may take a bold stance by a
        few prominent players, like critics Jayson Williams
        and Nets teammate Keith Van Horn, to stand up to
        union leadership to cause mass opposition.

        Williams said more than 40 players have called him
        over the past two days, ``and they all feel the way
        I feel,'' he said.

        He said he thinks the owners' deal is fair but does
        not know if he or others will stand up to the union
        hierarchy.

        ``If there were a secret ballot I think it might be
        close,'' he added. ``But with an open ballot, the
        union will win.''

        Most players and agents were kept in the dark
        Tuesday about the structure of the vote --
        potentially an intentional measure to lure players
        to New York where they might not get what they
        expect, one agent said.

        Some sources said before there is an actual vote,
        union leaders may ask players to show who is on
        their side, a means of intimidation one player
        said. Another source said the union may not even
        put the owners' proposal up for a vote.

        ``There might be some pretty [ticked] off
        players,'' said one source close to the union who
        asked not to be identified.

        There already are plenty of ticked-off players.

        Already out of work, some say having to buy a plane
        ticket and possibly pay for lodging on such short
        notice is an unneeded expense. Some players and
        agents argue that players should have the option to
        vote via phone call or at a polling place set up in
        each team's respective cities.

        ``I'm really upset with the fact that you're asking
        guys to come from around the country on a day's
        notice to get to New York when there's quicker
        means to do it,'' Askins said. ``I think they know
        a lot of players can't make it.''

        Added a Heat player who asked not to be named:
        ``They put people in a position where a lot of guys
        can't be there so they have the majority of guys
        there who can vote this down even though we all
        should have a say in it.''

                 Copyright © 1999 The Miami Herald