Re: Celtic loyalty

    I thought about this for awhile.  I can't see this happening in quite that way.  If the Celtic franchise were sold and the new owner moved it out of Boston but kept the same players, I guess I'd stay a Celtic fan, because it would still be the Celtics.  However, my loyalty is to the team and it's history and many long years of watching them.  If it were a new team based somewhere else with that name and Boston had a new team with new players, I might become a fan of that team.  My reasoning is that the Celtics team as I knew it would no longer exist because they are the “Boston Celtics” and they would no longer be that.
    As much as I like some of the players on the current Boston team, it's really a new era and except for Red and the former players who are now announcing the games, nearly everyone is now gone.  If Boston had a brand new team and I took a liking to it I might become a fan of that team, or just not be a big basketball fan any more.  Had never thought about it until you brought it up, but it's food for thought.

Dorine

  SUPPOSE there is no 1998-99 season; SUPPOSE that the Boston franchise then
moves to Pittsburgh and the same players emerge as the Pittsburgh Ironmen;  in
the 2001-02 season, a brand new franchise appears in Boston calling itself the
Celtics.  Now the Ironmen (Walker, Pierce, Mercer et al) are playing the
Celtics.
   Who are you rooting for?