Amazing Andrew: DeClercq picks it up

by Steve Bulpett
Friday, February 26, 1999
Earlier this season, an NBA coach was talking about the Celtics when a
quizzical look appeared on his face.
``And what the hell is up with Andrew DeClercq?'' he said. ``That is not the
same beast we saw last year. I don't know what he did in the offseason, but
whatever it was, it worked. I mean, he was just a beast last year. Now he
plays.''
Awkward compliments are about what DeClercq, who readily admits to a
less-than-artistic repertoire, can expect - especially when the comments speak
to an appreciation of his improvement. Besides, his numbers are looking
museum-quality even if the movements that begat them are not.
After missing the first two games of the season with back spasms, the
6-foot-10
DeClercq averages 6.6 points and 4.4 rebounds in just 19.3 minutes a game.
More
important, he's gone from .497 field goal shooting and a .601 free throw
percentage last year to .545 and .769, respectively, this season.
Against Orlando Wednesday, he had 14 points (7-of-9 shooting) and six
boards in
19 minutes. He also has the respect of his teammates.
``Drew's worked very hard and the coaches have worked very hard with him on
his
moves,'' said Antoine Walker. ``The other team has to respect him with the
ball
now.
``The thing is, I think Drew has never considered himself an offensive threat.
That's why his moves were never really there for him. Now he considers himself
an offensive threat, and that's the way you have to think. It's the same thing
for Eric Riley. He has to think of scoring, because those guys are not
commanding the double-teams and the attention that myself and Paul are
commanding. That's an opportunity for them to score, because they're probably
not considered scorers in the other team's scouting report.
``You know, everybody's got to figure out their role and figure out what they
can do, because we're going to need everybody. With this shortened season,
we're going to need everybody pitching in in every game.''
DeClercq began pitching in during the offseason, working on what he already
had
and adding a nice little up and under move that can be difficult to defend
because of his strength.
``Before the lockout started, coach (Rick Pitino) had me come up (to Boston)
for a couple of individual workouts, and we worked on the same moves we'd been
working on all year,'' DeClercq said. ``And I've worked with (new Celtic
coach)
Andy Enfield a lot on my shooting technique. Then once the lockout started I
went back to Florida and worked out with my old high school coach a lot. We
tried to simulate the things I was doing with the coaches in Boston and he
would watch certain techniques that Andy had pointed out. He helped me a lot
with my off hand and my follow-through.''
The rest is a matter of familiarity breeding comfort.
``I think it's just being comfortable with the system and understanding
what it
is coach is looking for and understanding where my shots are going to come in
the offense,'' DeClercq said.
``Last year it seemed like there were a lot of times when I got the ball and I
wouldn't be ready to make my offensive move, so I think this is more a matter
of just being comfortable.