Re: Antoine

Vinny Natale wrote:

> As far as Antoine's maturity versus Larry's?  I submit the following:
>
> 1)  I believe that Antoine is still a year younger than when Bird was a
> rookie.  Antoine's class just graduated.  Bird came to the Celtics a year
> after his class graduated.
> 2)  Larry sure showed his maturity when he actually expected Bill Laimbeer
> to get into a fist fight with him on national TV during the play-offs.  And
> Larry exhibited all the maturity in the world when he got into the fight in
> the bar during the play-offs which ended up severely affecting his shooting
> in that series and significantly contributed to the Celtics getting knocked
> out of the play-offs early.  He sure was thinking about his teammates at
> that time!
> 3)  And there was an unauthorized biography of Larry Bird.  The line I most
> remember reading from that book was, "and the guy went down by the fists of
> Larry Bird."
>
> Now at this time Larry has certainly matured beyond many of those but I
> don't buy that his maturity level was any higher than Antoine's at the same
> stage of their careers.  Actually I'd rate Antoine's higher.
>
> Vinny
Hey Vinny,

How about Larry trying help out Moses Malone with his diet (Moses eats
Sh-t) after the C's won the championship in 81. This definitely ranks as
one of the more mature statements made by him throughout his career. Who
cares as long as Antoine comes to play and he does come to play every
game as Larry did. Remember, there are people on this list that just
can't stand Antoine and will pick on him for anything, but notice that
most of this nitpicking is about his maturity and not his game, although
it would be nice if he can get his free throw % up to 75%.

Regards,
Hart