Re: More postgame thoughts

----------
> From: Michael  J.  King  Sr. <kingpin@primenet.com>
> To: Bob George <bgp@lightspeed.net>
> Cc: Celtics List <celtics@igtc.com>
> Subject: Re: More postgame thoughts
> Date: Saturday, February 27, 1999 6:41 PM
>
> At 14:33 2/26/99 , Bob George wrote:
> >I just read Bill C's postgame summary, great as usual...just a few more
of
> >my 2 cts.
> >
> >I am growing more and more tired of Walker and his disco shimmy Chris
Canty
> >crap.  Pitino should strip him of his captaincy right now.
>
> Sorry Bob old friend but I totally disagree with this sentiment.

Mike believe me, when you speak I listen!

 I like
> enthusiasm and he only did the wiggle once that I recall last night and
it
> was toward the end of the game anyway.AND the crowd loved it!!  I don't
> hear anyone putting down Paul Pierce's finger motions to the crowd after
he
> makes a spectacular play. The crowd loves it as do I and if it helps get
> the "6th man" into the game. I am all for that!  Mark Jackson does a
> version of the wiggle at times after he makes a beautiful play and others
> could be pointed out but I digress as my point is that when Antoine does
> his move it is seen as an immature punk thing while others doing it is
seen
> as perfectly acceptable. Well just my thoughts and YMMV. Later.Mike

I think Pierce's finger is far less annoying (and not nearly as ugly) as
Walker's little Ickey Shuffle Redux.  I don't think it is "perfectly
acceptable".  Look at what the Redskins' "fun bunch" did for the NFL, they
put in that stupid "end zone celebration" rule.

Drawing the line here is real tough and awfully subjective.  What you may
think is acceptable I may not, and others have their own opinions.  The TNT
announcers last night were all over Walker's case when he did it.  Hey, I'm
not against celebrating.  Here is what I am against:  pissing off your
opponent, and possibly the referees as well.  The refs in this discussion
are a bit of a reach, but Walker had problems with them last year in not
getting calls because he whined too much.  You never know that his
histrionics might rub refs the wrong way, I don't know.  But other NBA
players can be affected by it.

I'm of the opinion that "you should not make your opponent mad".  That was
a major strategy in the Cardinals winning the 1946 WS -- they were told by
manager Eddie Dyer to "not get (Ted) Williams mad...don't say anything!".
I might also point out that Vincent Brisby of the Pats used to gesture on
first downs in his rookie year, and Scumcells took him aside and stopped
that stuff immediately.  I think that when you show up your opponents, you
pay for it later on.  I mean, look at how pissed Pat Riley got when we
played at Miami this year when Pitino called a late timeout (even though
Miami fouled on every possession).  If the Celtics are going to make a
serious run at the playoffs, it might be incumbent upon Walker to tone his
act down lest he face some angry dude in the playoffs obsessed with getting
back at him.

All things aside, he looks like a poor imitation of Jamal Anderson's Dirty
Bird when he does it.  At least he could think of something that looks more
attractive.

Bob G