Re: Bird-like

Mike wrote:

>In my 30+ years of watching the  Celts, I haven't seen many rookies who
>possessed the talent, intelligence and  poise to pull off that pass. Bird
>did, and now Pierce does. You may want to  remember that when anyone asks
>you just how good this kid is.

I had the extreme pleasure of seeing Pierce when the C's came to Portland
last week.  Paul Pierce is a major talent.

I wore my Celtics jacket and I had Blazer fans left and right come up to me
to talk about Pierce.

He was obviously the best player on the floor.

I'm not sure that I buy comparisons with Bird, though.  I like what Tommy
was saying when he compared PP to Havlicek.

Like Hondo, he's too quick for forwards to guard and too big for guards to
watch.  He's an excellent defender and rebounder.  He's a very smart and
mature guy.

However, he is bigger and faster than Hondo.  And he's got those long arms.
And it took years for Havlicek to learn how to shoot like PP.

John Havlicek was my favorite Celtic when I was a youth.  IMHO, it is the
ultimate compliment for PP to be compared to this Celtic great.

Ken

mattinak@teleport.com
mattinak@ohsu.edu