Re: Bird-like

That was a great play Pierce made, but the pass part was the least of
it.  There was nobody in the backcourt, so anywhere he flipped it
would have led to a basket.  Pierce's best pass by far (and most
Bird-like) was his fake shot/fade/dump off to Riley.  Larry used to do
that five or six times  a game.

---Dorine  wrote:

> I remembered the same thing and thought the same thoughts when I saw
that pass tonight.  He truly is a gifted player.  Haven't had so much
fun watching a game in a long time.  They were all great tonight.

> Dorine

Bird's
> back was to the basket where the Celtics were shooting, but in one
> motion, without looking, he volleyballed the pass over his head to a
> cutting teammate for the easy hoop. Even before he got the ball, Bird
> knew where his teammate was, and then had the ability and smarts to
make
> the right pass for the situation.
>
> I remember that episode clearly because I knew at that moment that
Bird
> was an extra special player. It came to mind tonight because Pierce
made
> a similar move that might mean he really is a man of destiny, too.
>
> If you missed the game, this sequence will no doubt be on the
> highlights. Pierce was harassing Outlaw's dribble near halfcourt,
and he
> bothered him so much that Outlaw stumbled to one knee. Walker bolted
> over to double-team, and deflected Outlaw's desperate pass. Pierce
> grabbed the ball off the floor with his back to the basket where the
> Celts were shooting. In one motion, without looking, he flipped the
ball
> over his head to Walker, who had taken off. Toine handed it to Mercer
> for the two-on-none dunk.
>
> In my 30+ years of watching the Celts, I haven't seen many rookies who
> possessed the talent, intelligence and poise to pull off that pass.
Bird
> did, and now Pierce does. You may want to remember that when anyone
asks
> you just how good this kid is.
> --
> Mike Dynon
> North Kingstown, RI

<HR>
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=text/html;charset=Windows-1252 http-equiv=Content-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>

<META content='"MSHTML 5.00.0910.1309"' name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV>I remembered the same thing and thought the same thoughts when I
saw that
pass tonight.  He truly is a gifted player.  Haven't had so much fun
watching a game in a long time.  They were all great tonight.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Dorine</DIV>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message -----
<DIV style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: black"> </DIV></DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>In Larry Bird's second pro game, at Cleveland, the Celts
rebounded a<BR>Cavs' miss and the outlet pass was thrown to Bird near
midcourt.
Bird's<BR>back was to the basket where the Celtics were shooting, but
in
one<BR>motion, without looking, he volleyballed the pass over his head
a<BR>cutting teammate for the easy hoop. Even before he got the ball,
Bird<BR>knew where his teammate was, and then had the ability and
smarts to
make<BR>the right pass for the situation.<BR><BR>I remember that
episode clearly
because I knew at that moment that Bird<BR>was an extra special
player. It came
to mind tonight because Pierce made<BR>a similar move that might mean
he really
is a man of destiny, too.<BR><BR>If you missed the game, this sequence
will no
doubt be on the<BR>highlights. Pierce was harassing Outlaw's dribble
near
halfcourt, and he<BR>bothered him so much that Outlaw stumbled to one
knee.
Walker bolted<BR>over to double-team, and deflected Outlaw's desperate
pass.
Pierce<BR>grabbed the ball off the floor with his back to the basket
where
the<BR>Celts were shooting. In one motion, without looking, he flipped
the
ball<BR>over his head to Walker, who had taken off. Toine handed it to
Mercer<BR>for the two-on-none dunk.<BR><BR>In my 30+ years of watching
the
Celts, I haven't seen many rookies who<BR>possessed the talent,
intelligence and
poise to pull off that pass. Bird<BR>did, and now Pierce does. You may
want to
remember that when anyone asks<BR>you just how good this kid
is.<BR>--<BR>Mike
Dynon<BR>North Kingstown, RI</BODY></HTML>